1. Dr. Dennis Slamon: The man who revolutionized a cure for breast cancer By: Cherish S
2. About Dr. Slamon <ul><li>Dr. Slamon is a scientific researcher and biologist affiliated with UCLA Comprehensive Cancer Center. He specializes in oncology and hematology, and is a leading doctor in the search for a cure for breast cancer. </li></ul>
3. A Tribute to Dr. Slamon “ Living Proof” was a movie , and tribute based upon the life, and works of Doctor Slamon.
4. The Fight for a Cure <ul><li>Dr. Slamon became very interested in breast cancer, and begun a clinical research to find a drug that could target breast cancer. After twelve long years of hardships, being turned down, and told he was pointless his drug was finally accepted and put to work. </li></ul>
5. HER2 <ul><li>HER2 is a protein that comes from the outer surface of normal breast cells. Slamon and his colleagues found that by adding, or removing HER2 could slow down, or cure a patient who is HER2 positive. </li></ul>
6. A Simple Analogy <ul><li>Slamon once said, “Think of the body as a organized garden, all the vegetables growing in their perfectly spaced rows, cancer is the tomato plant. No matter where you plant tomatoes they manage to begin to take over all other plants space and supply of water. This is why I do that things I do everyday.” </li></ul>
7. Awards & Recognition <ul><li>American Cancer Society Medal of Honor </li></ul><ul><li>Bristol-Myers Squibb Oncology Millennium Award </li></ul><ul><li>Albert B. Sabin Hero of Science Award </li></ul><ul><li>Dorothy P Landon-AACR Prize </li></ul><ul><li>Transitional Medicine Award </li></ul><ul><li>Wadsworth Center’s Brown-Hazen Award </li></ul><ul><li>Jeffrey A. Gottlieb Memorial Award </li></ul>
8. Where No Doctor Has Gone Before <ul><li>Dr. Slamon is a leader, and a physician who will stretch the usual boundaries and guidelines to save the lives of many. He is considered one of the “major hands” in the contribution to cancer therapy. Slamon’s amazing discovery of HER2 revolutionized breast cancer. </li></ul>