-Expansion of sailing in the 15th century was growing along with the curiosity to explore the rest of the worldPrince Henry “the navigator” was Portuguese prince who created the first ship school. This school taught males how to navigate and sail a boat.In 1453 the turkish empire cut off all land routes to Asia, therefore not cutting off all spice supply to Europe.1488 Diaz sailed around the “Cape of Storms”which is the southern tip of Africa. This route to Asia was long and very tretchorous. Which lead to nations looking for an alternate route.
Santa Maria, The Pinta, and the Nina were the three ships in the voyage Christopher Columbus lead to discover a new route to IndiaHe was sent by Spain as a “Conquistador” Bahamas, Cuba, Hispaniola, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico and Jamaica ware what Columbus found instead.
Under the commision of Henry VII of EnglandFirst europen encounter with the mainland of North America since the Vikings in Vinland in the 11th centuryLanded on the island of Newfoundland
-Vicente Yáñez Pinzón discoversBrazil at a cape he names "Santa Maria de la Consolación"-1500:Rodrigo de Bastidas explores the Columbian coast from Cabo de la Vela to the Gulf of Urabá.-Gonçalo Coelho discovers "Rio de Janeiro" (Guanabara Bay).
-Montezuma graciously welcomed cortez, cortez then had him executed- The aztecs attacked and were defeated-1521, Guatemoc, the new Aztec emperor, surrendered. This was the end of the great empire of the Aztecs.
1524 and 1526 were both failed attempts at taking the incan empire1533 finally took the incan empire that extended down then west side of south america
Voyages were between 1497-1504
1. Chelsea SchroederAGE OF EXPLORATION IN THE AMERICAS Photo: http://thelonggoodbye.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/old-globe-map-1596-pragmatic-progress-is-still-progress/
2. TYPICAL SHIP OF A EUROPEAN EXPLORERPhoto: http://karenswhimsy.com/european-explorers.shtm
3. LOOK BACK A LITTLE FURTHER… Expansion of sailing 1450: Prince Henry the Navigator 1453: Turkish Empire cut off land routes to asia 1488: Bartholomeu Dias sails around “Cape of Storms” Photo: http://www.sahistory.org.za/people/bartholomew-alternate-spelling- bartolomeu-dias
5. IN 1492 COLUMBUS… Santa María, the Piñta, and the Niña New route to India Bahamas, Cuba, Hispaniola, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico and Jamaica. Photo: http://oh-wheezers.blogspot.com/2010/10/manila-acapulco-galleon-trade.html#axzz2973bp59J
6. JOHN CABOT Italian Navigator First European encounter with mainland since the Vikings 1947: Newfoundland Photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cabot
7. SOUTH AMERICAPhoto: http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/sa.htm
8. ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE EQUATOR… 1498 Columbus discovers mainland 1500: Vicente Yáñez Pinzón discovers Brazil 1500: Rodrigo de Bastidas explores Colombian Coast 1502: Gonçalo Coelho discovers Rio DePhoto: http://estrolabio.blogs.sapo.pt/tag/brasil Janeiro
9. THE FALL OF THE ANCIENTS Hernando Cortez Spanish Conquistador 1519: Tenochtitlan 1521: Guatemoc surrendersPhoto: http://musicmaven.wordpress.com/2008/01/13/cortez-the-killer/
10. THE FALL OF THE ANCIENTS II Francisco Pizzaro Spanish Conquistador 1524 & 1526 Expeditions 1533: Third Expedition Pizzaro Photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Pizarro
11. NORTH AMERICAPhoto: http://www.geographicguide.com/america-maps/northamerica.htm
12. AMERIGO VESPUCCI 4 voyages between 1497-1504 Italian Explorer Explored New World extensively The Americas were later named after him Photo: http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-amerigo-vespucci-image1257673
13. BALBOA & PONCE DE LEON Spanish Explorer Spanish Explorer First explorer to reach Lead expedition to Pacific Ocean through Florida New World Was in search of the 1513 Crossed Isthmus Fountain of Youth of Panama
14. HERNANDO DE SOTO Spanish Explorer First deep exploration of North America First European to cross the Mississippi RiverPhoto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernando_de_Soto Extensive exploration of southeast United States
15. CARTIER French Explorer 3 Voyages 1534-1542 Claimed modern day Canada for the French Explored St. Lawrence River and The Great Lakes Photo:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Cartier