Dear Friends, if you're reading this it's probably because in one way or another, you care to know
more about this chess festival. In this document you'll find all the practical information you need to be able
to participate: information about the prizes, requirements, lodging and much more.
We at Chess Studios are passionate about chess, reason why we've organized this international
chess festival. We've gathered our experience from multiple tournaments and festivals in the chess world.
We trust Checkmate Chess International Festival will become a reference in the wonderful world of
chess, a sport that usually goes unnoticed, an intellectual discipline, a passion many of us share...
If you find you need further information, please feel free to get in touch with us. At the end of this document,
in the Contact section, you have all the details you need on how to reach us. We'd be delighted to answer
any queries or doubts, if anything comes up.
Any player that meets the following requirements can participate:
- The player must not be in possession of an Elo FIDE rating or if he/she has one it must be inferior to 2300, accor-
ding to the FIDE ratings published in June 2014.
- The player cannot be in possession of an IM or GM title.
- The player can be in possession of titles such as FM, IM, GM or their female equivalents, as long as he/she doesn’t
exceed an Elo FIDE of 2300.
- The player must not have exceeded 2,400 FIDELITY points at any given time during the past five years.
The player must not possess an Elo FIDE rating and must abide by one of the following:
a. Be a Spanish citizen and have a federative license. If this is the case can have an Elo FEDA of 2300
or less points.
b. Not be a Spanish citizen and have a FIDE code or belong to a U16 category. In this case the player
may have an Elo FEDA of 2000 or more points.
In order to subscribe to the festival, besides meeting its participation requirements, you must follow
a series of steps:
1.- Please provide the following information:
Nombre Completo y Apellidos
Full Name and Surname
D.N.I. /N.I.E / Passport
Date of Birth
Elo FIDE (if applicable)
Elo FEDA (if applicable)
Skype ID (if applicable)
A photograph or scan of your identity document (Passport / D.N.I. / N.I.E.) *both sides are needed
A photograph or scanned copy of your Elo FIDE or Elo FEDA certifying document *a screenshot is valid
Participation category [U2000 or U2300]
You can submit this information via e-mail to email@example.com or by directly filling up
the same form on our website: http://www.checkmatechessfestival.com.
2.- Once you've provided this data, we'll verify all the information and get back to you within the next 24 / 48
hours and let you know the next course of action.
3.- Finally, if you meet all the requisites to participate in the chess festival, you shall pay the enrollment fee via
bank transfer to the following account:
IBAN: ES20 0049 4943 3424 1002 0491
General Category: 95,00 €*
U18 (participants born since 1996): 85,00 €*
Veterans (participants born before 1954): 85,00 €*
* ATTENTION! You'll get a 15% discount off the enrollment fee if you formalize your subscription before Saturday, May 31st by 11:39 p.m.
When you make the bank transfer please write the concept as follows:
[Passport, D.N.I or N.I.E.]_[FULL NAME IN CAPITAL LETTERS]_CMCF
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- The tournament will be disputed following a nine-round Swiss system with a time control of 90 minutes plus
an increment of 30 seconds per move. The pairing procedure will be managed via a FIDE-endorsed computer
- The pairings for the first round will be published the 21st
of June at 4:00 p.m. The other rounds will be published in
the tournament playing hall and on the official website sufficiently in advance.
- The grace period established is 60 minutes beginning at the official start time of each round.
- Players may request a maximum of 3 half-point BYEs. They must do so in writing before the end of the round prior
to the one they would like to apply it to. If these BYEs are requested during the last 3 rounds, they will be worth 0
- Players are allowed to claim a draw at any time during a game, except on the first 15 tables of the last 3 rounds.
On those specific rounds and tables an agreement cannot be reached before the 30th
- If a player fails to show up to any round he/she will me immediately eliminated from the tournament.
- The Appeals Committee is made up by 5 people: three members and two reserve members. This Committee is
selected by the Arbitration Committee after consultation with the Tournament Management. The members cannot
object to forming part of this committee. Complaints to any arbitral decisions must be presented in writing through
the Chief Arbiter and addressed to the Appeals Committee. The deadline for submitting a complaint ends within an
hour after the incident has occurred. The decision made by the AC is definite and not subject to appeal.
- No round can be analyzed in the playing hall; there will be a designated area for that purpose. It is absolutely
forbidden to move tournament boards and/or clocks to this area.
- TIE-BREAKER. The final ranking will be determined by the following tie-breakers in the order they appear below:
1. Direct Encounter.
2. ARPO System (-1,1): the average of the recursive performances of the player’s opponents, excluding the best and the
3. Cumulative: the sum of the running score for each round. If there's a tie, the points from the first round will be discar-
ded. If there's still a tie, proceed in the same way until a decision can be reached.
4. Bulchholz system: the sum of the number of points earned by the player's opponents, but discarding the highest and
lowest. The FIDE adjustment consisting of using a virtual opponent will be applied.
- No player will be able to oppose to his/her match being disseminated or broadcasted via Internet or any other
format the Tournament Management deems fit.
- The participants of the tournament give authorization to have their personal information published in the media or
on the Tournament Organizer's own publications if the Tournament Management considers opportune to divulge
the event (results, rankings, participants, matches, news articles...).
- The Organization reserves the right to cancel or postpone the Festival if a minimum of players does not enroll. If it
came to this, any player already enrolled will be duely advised and an agreement shall be reached regarding the
reimbursement of fees already paid as well as future arrangements regarding the celebration of the activity.
- ENROLLMENT REVOCATION. If a player decides to voluntarily withdraw from the tournament, 50.00 € will be
charged for cancellation expenses (only if the withdrawal is requested before 11:59 p.m. of 31st
May 2014). This
amount shall be discounted from the enrollment fee and the Organization will refund the difference. If the player
decides to back out of the tournament after the above mentioned date and time, the totality of the enrollment fee
will be used to cover these costs.
- The Organization reserves the right to modify these rules in order to better carry out the tournament, with the sole obli-
gation to publish these changes on the official website.
- All players are subject to the regulations currently in force by FIDE and entirely accept these grounds.
Below you will find a calendar with the dates and times of the different activities of the tournament.
5:00 p.m. - Opening Ceremony
5:30 p.m. - Round 1
10:00 a.m. - Round 6
5:30 p.m. - Round 7
5:30 p.m. - Round 2
5:30 p.m. - Round 8
10:00 a.m. - Round 3
5:30 p.m. - Round 4
10:00 a.m. - Round 9
2:30 p.m. - Closing Ceremony
5:30 p.m. - Round 5
The prizes will go as follows:
GENERAL PRIZES*subject to the corresponding legal deductions
place 3.000,00 €
place 1.500,00 €
place 700,00 €
place 600,00 €
place 550,00 €
place 500,00 €
place 450,00 €
place 400,00 €
place 300,00 €
place 250,00 €
place 200,00 €
place 150,00 €
place 100,00 €
PRIZES BY SECTION*Subject to the corresponding legal deductions
U2150 250,00 €
U2150 150,00 €
VETERAN 250,00 €
VETERAN 150,00 €
U18 U18 Spanish Championship Invitation
U18 U18 Spanish Championship Enrollment
U16 U16 Spanish Championship Invitation
U16 U16 Spanish Championship Enrollment
U14 U14 Spanish Championship Invitation
U14 U14 Spanish Championship Enrollment
U12 U12 Spanish Championship Invitation
U12 U12 Spanish Championship Enrollment
Beauty Prize IV International Open “Ciudad de Albacete” 2015 Enrollment
- SPECIAL PRIZES don't correspond to any exclusive category; these are also applicable to U2300 and U2000 players.
- The invitation, as well as the enrollment to the Spanish Championship refers specifically to the Campeonato de Espa–
a por Edades (Spanish Championship by Age Group). The first prize for each age group from the current U2000 tour-
nament will compete in a 2-game lightning 5/0 chess match against the first prize winner of his/her category from the
current U2300. If there's a tie, the tie-breaker will be the Armageddon system. To be able to enjoy this prize the player
must be a Spanish citizen.
- Beauty Prize. Each player can submit a maximum of one game played during the tournament. It must be sent by
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. A special committee, appointed by the Organization, will decide
which of the games played during the tournament has been the most beautiful one. Games that are plagiarized, fixed
or prepared will not be allowed. This prize will be given to the two players who disputed the winning game. If only one of
the sides of the chosen game submits it, both players will aspire to the prize. The award consists of an enrollment to the
U2300 IV International Open "Ciudad de Albacete" 2015.
- The prizes are indivisible and non-cumulative.
The event will take place at the Fray Luis de Le—n Conference Center, located on Paseo de la Alameda 39,
28440 Guadarrama, MADRID. GPS coordinates are 40û40'59" N 4û05'59" W.
Lodging can be booked in the same place. Three modalities are available:
1. - Hotel lodging in single or double room.
Single room + full board: 60,00 € p/p VAT included
Double room + full board: 45,00 € p/p VAT included
2. - Hostel lodging in room with bunk beds. Each room has four bunk beds, 8 beds in total.
1 bed + full board: 23,00 € p/p VAT included
3. - Lodging in tents. Each tent can accommodate up to 4 people.
Full room and board: 19,00 € p/p VAT included
The Organization has made available a Customer Service direct telephone number (refer to the contact
section) for all enquiries regarding lodging. Availability in the Fray Luis de Le—n Conference Center is limited, none-
the-less other options can be provided, as well as arranged, upon request and free of charge.
The Organization has also made available a catering service for the price of 9,20 € p/p. Any food allergies
and intolerances will be taken into consideration upon due notice. All participants who book lodging at the Fray Luis
de Le—n Conference Center have breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
To formalize any special requests regarding the food, please make sure to contact Customer Service.
- By bus: At the Moncola Interchange, take bus number 682 on dock 2, isle 20. Get off at
the last stop which leaves you only a few meters away from the entrance to the Fray Luis
de Le—n Conference Center.
- By commuter rail: From any Cercanías station in the city of Madrid, take lines C3, C8 or
C10 to Villalba. Once there, take a taxi or bus to the complex. The closest bus stop is about
1 km away. From there get on bus number 682 or 685.
- By car: Take exit 42 or 47 from highway A6 (Madrid - A Coru–a). After taking the exit
keep going in the direction of ÒAlto del Le—nÒ until you reach number 39 of Paseo de la
We've wanted to enrich this event with talks by experts, leisure activities, workshops of different disciplines...
All these activities will be communicated in advance on the tournament's official website.
For matters having to do with the rules and regulations for participating in the tournament.
phone: +34 616 53 27 64 MIKEL or +34 617 42 41 73 çNGEL
LOGISTICS INFORMATION - CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICE
For issues related to food, lodging, transport information.
phone: +34 91 854 95 90
GENERAL INFORMATION - CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICE