1. Lutago (Luttach) Ahrntal - Südtirol Altitude: 956 metres above sea level Slides will advance automatically (May and June 2009)
2. Here begins the Valle Aurina valley (Ahrntal), surrounded by fourteen 3,000 metres high mountains!
11. Late-Gothic (1495) parish church St. Sebastian
17. Wood carving If you want to see the devil in person- come to the Ahrntal Valley! Earlier, when Tyrol was not divided into three parts, many peasants of the Aurina valley had wonderful mountain pastures on the northern side of the Zillertal Alps where they brought the livestock in the summer months. It was the function of the shepherds to guard them. This was quite a boring job, so each shepherd tried to pass the time with games and different activities. Every shepherd had a jack knife and so it was quite logical that they began to carve figures and especially grimaces in wood and roots.In autumn these carvings were brought home and found their place in the parlour. In this way, the art became more and more popular and the shepherds and peasants began to carve also during the winter months.Masks were carved with faces of witches, devils and the sun.
18. "Maranatha crib museum“ Nativity scenes in different styles: home-made Alpine cribs as well as several oriental cribs. The name "Maranatha"is arameic, Jesus' mother-tongue, and means "Our Lord may come".