Melanie Swift M.N.M
Director of Nonprofit Services
HBIF Meeting 12-09
• CharityNet USA: A “One-stop” resource
center for nonprofit organizations
• Key Speaker: Melanie Swift
• Recorded Webinar Available At:
• Introduction to the top reasons nonprofits fail.
• The current state of nonprofit organizations.
• Characteristics that can make or break any
• The top 5 reasons for nonprofit failure & how to
avoid those dire mistakes!
• Americans flock to
starting a nonprofit for
variety of reasons:
Help the Community
A Need to Contribute
prone to a
These can be so
they can turn any
• Damage to the nonprofit sector from
the recession is mounting.
• The financial situation for nonprofits has
worsened in the past six months, while
the need for their services has
A Head for
Desire to do
• Build a Solid Capital Structure
Keep Strict Money Records
File all Documents & Forms
Correctly & On Time
Set Aside Seed Money
Evaluate Want vs. Need
• Consider the following:
• Small donors are just as
important as large donors.
• Don’t expect donors to
maintain or increase the size
of their contribution each
time they give.
• Thank every donor in every
• Build Strong Relationships.
• Learn how to market cost-effectively and time-
• Target your marketing efforts with intense research.
• Create a marketing plan with a budget.
• Build strong relationships - Word of Mouth is one of the
strongest marketing tools!
• Make the marketing campaign and materials
interesting and accessible
• Get a Website !
• If you have a website Make it-user-friendly by:
• Avoiding Bulky language
• Making sure your contact information is
accessible & accurate
• Having strong content
• Making sure nothing is further than “two clicks”
• Displaying your mission in a clear area
• Having an online donations page
• Do not pay federal corporate income tax.
• In most cases, do not pay state corporate,
franchise, excise, sales, and use taxes.
• Can offer individual and corporate donors
a tax deduction for their contribution.
• Eligible to receive
• Eligible for lower postal
• Viewed as a whole as
• Growing your nonprofit and building
awareness is not impossible during the
current economic conditions…. It may just
take a little extra creativity, planning and
motivation along the way!
• Build a solid source of funding, plan and
execute marketing initiatives and take things
one step at a time!
• Nonprofit Grant Writing: 6-3-2010 3pm EST
• Nonprofit Board of Directors 20 Best Practices:
6-10-2010 3pm EST
• Developing a Strategic Plan: 6-17-2010 3pm EST