On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Institute of Specialized
Economics and Finance
Lect urer Morn Nerot
SEM CHANNARATH HENG CHANREAKSMEY LAY SOKHEANG
EOUK NIMOL OL CHINEANG CHEA SOCHEATA
CHHOULEAKHENA CHAN CHENDA CHAY SREYNOUCH
Year I, semester I
• About the company
• The Marketing Strategy
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Apple Inc. is a California corporation founded in 1977 by Steve Job.
Now, Apple Inc. operates 301 retail stores in ten countries, and an online store .
As of May 2010, Apple is one of the largest companies in the world and the most
valuable technology company in the world, having surpassed Microsoft (Linz
As of September 2010, Apple had 46,600 full time employees and 2,800
temporary full time employees worldwide and had worldwide annual sales of
ABOUT THE COMPANY
In a short period of 33 years, it has been grown to be a world well-known brand.
Fortune magazine named Apple one of the most admired company in the United
States in 2008, and in the world in 2008, 2009, and 2010, standing an important
place in the fast-moving technology world.
New Product Development
• Numerous product ranges that provide product lines to attract customers have been
introduced throughout the years since 1983, for example, portable computers, servers,
accessories, Wi-Fi based stations, developer, iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, peripheral products
• Consequently, the Company has come up with newer versions of its product lines with similar
characteristics that are also updated from time to time. For instance, in the iPhone portfolio
range, Apple initially came out with the iPhone 3G, then iPhone 3GS ,iPhone4, iPhone 4s, and
• Launching the iTunes marked the beginning of Apple’s new strategy of making the Max the
hub for the “digital lifestyle” and also launched the iTunes Music Store online in 2003.
• The iPod was then introduced and it “changed the way people listen to music”.
• Apple continued their innovative streak with advancements in flat-panel LCDs for desktops
and improved notebooks in years 2002 and 2003.
• In order to satisfy consumers’ favor, Apple Inc. has their product line for the iPod.
• AppleCare offers a range of support options for the Company’s customers.
The company has reduced prices after some initial product launches.
The retail pricing control by Apple is somewhat limited and, like many other products, the iPod
has been subject to considerable discounting particularly in the one intermediary channel of
From Apple’s perspective, discounting usually only eats into the margin of the retailer, not the
Another pricing strategy used by Apple Inc. was launching a low-price version of an existing
product targeted at price-sensitive consumers.
there is direct distribution though Apple stores located in many countries and accessed on line.
There is direct distribution though Apple stores located in many countries and accessed on line.
Apple, Inc. This is where there is a retailer between the manufacturer, Apple, and the consumer.
The Apple Store (80 000 references) is a large hypermarket. With shelves and products inside.
• This form of promotion is most relevant to the Apple exclusive and authorized retailers.
• Staff are trained to have a high level of product knowledge and are completely focused on
the sale of Apple’s range.
• Apple has used a range of media advertising to promote the iPod. Electronic, print, the Internet and
alternative media (such as billboards and bus shelters) have all been used.
• Advertising costs are expensed as incurred. Advertising expense was $691 million, $501 million and
$486 million for 2010, 2009 and 2008, respectively.
• This involves the use of one product to support another.
• One of the clearest examples is provided by the iPod cross promotion of the rock group U2
and its album ‘How to dismantle an atomic bomb’.
• The Apple Consultants Network website provides a search tool allowing visitors to locate
nearby certified Mac product consultants in the U.S, Canada, and a number of international
• The online Apple Store offers free shipping for orders over $50 and also offers iTunes gift
THE MARKETING STRATEGY
Success by design
Developers and apps
• Silverman, Dwight. “Tech Blog.” 6 Aug. 2008. Chron.com. 11 Nov. 2008.
• Apple.com (2007) HOMEPAGE.RETRIEVED ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2007, from http://apple.com
• BODDIE, J. (AUGUST, 2005) BEHIND APPLE'S STRATEGY: BE SECOND TO THE MARKET.RETRIEVED
ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2007, from http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/4970.html.
• Blythe,J. (2008) The Official CIM Course book: Marketing Essential. UK: Elsevier
Jobs,S. Apple’s CEO (02/03/2011) Apple’s Keynote, USA: San Francisco.
Kotler,P. Armstrong,G. Saunders,J. Wong,P. (1999) Principles of Marketing Second European Ed.
New Jersey: Prentice Hall Inc.
LearnMarketing.net, (n.d.) Consumers’ Buying Process, *Internet+
http://www.learnmarketing.net/consumer.htm [Accessed on 13/03/2011]
MarketingTeacher.com, (n.d.) Apple’s Marketing Mix, *Internet+
http://www.marketingteacher.com/case-study/apple-case-study.html [Accessed on 10/03/2011]
Dr. Willan, M., (08/03/2011) CIM Marketing Essentials [Lecture], LSBF: London
THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT
WELCOME FOR ALL QUESTIONS