1. Social Media Marketing for Business PRESENTED BY STEPHANIE POWERSHAGERSTOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE HAGERSTOWN, MD SAPOWERS@HAGERSTOWNCC.EDU 240-500-2490
2. Agenda 21st Century Marketing Where does social media fit? Specific Opportunities for Governments Strategies and Best Practices Questions/Discussion/Idea Sharing
3. What is Marketing? “Marketing is everything you do to promote your business, from the moment you conceive of it to the point at which customers buy your product or serviceand begin to patronize your business on a regular basis. The key words to remember are EVERYTHING and REGULAR BASIS.”-Jay Conrad LevinsonAuthor of the Guerrilla Marketing series
4. A New Economy Old Economy New EconomyOrganized by products Organized by customer segmentsFocused on transaction value Focused on the lifetime customer valueShareholder Stakeholder Image credit: xedos4Marketing by marketing dept. Marketing by EVERYONECustomer acquisition Customer retentionOverpromise, under-deliver Under-promise, over-deliver
5. Why the Change? Varied media  Transparency Access to information  Improved consumer data Targeted messaging  More data Technology  Information sharing Consumer intelligence  What else?
6. Where Does Social Media Fit?What is social media? Social  Community Interactive  User experience User-centered  Relationship building Two-way communication  Sharing Information sharing  Others? Web or mobile based Image credit: jscreationzs
7. How Can this Work for Business? Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Customer Service Public Relations Targeted Communications
8. How Does this Work for Business? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWN8 WdKgerA&feature=related 27:46 to 28:55
9. Where do I Start?Determine a Realistic Level of Use Consider your organization’s…  Level of expertise & experience  Available time & resources Image credit: jannoon028  Expected outcomes
10. Step 1: Listen Google alerts - http://www.google.com/alerts Twitter discussions– Custom feeds in HootSuite.com  Your company  Industry topics  Hashtags # Facebook  Delete & report spam!  Respond to questions Claim your business on Foursquare, Yelp, Google Places, etc.
11. Step 2: Join the Conversation Determine which networks are right for your business – www.google.com/adplanner Determine your goals for each platform/campaign - http://socialmediatoday.com/node/424216  Customer service  Leads  Promotion  Web traffic  Awareness Set up tracking tools & evaluate success  HootSuite analytics  TwitSprout  Website referral numbers  Google analytics  Klout score
12. Step 3: Become an Industry Expert Get involved in industry-related conversations  Track Twitter for questions – respond with expert info, NOT product/service promotion – www.twitter.com/search  Answer LinkedIn questions and get involved in groups Content, Content, Content!  Blog  Video  Testimonials
13. Strategies & Best Practices Inbound links  Link back to your website often Shareable Content  Use social plugins – What are social plugins? Post frequently http://www.youtube.c  Use your strategy! om/watch?v=kWN8W dKgerA&feature=relate Start & participate in conversations d 56:45 Promote your partners
14. Strategies & Best Practices Cont’d  Respond in a timely manner -www.facebook.com/sungevity
15. Facebook-Specific SEO Strategies Choose your Facebook page name carefully Create a custom URL  Example: www.facebook.com/nike Use your keywords in “About” section Other “Info” items of importance  Address – important for location-specific companies  Company Overview, Mission, Products – Keywords!  Photo captions – Keywords!
16. Censorship, Integrity & Crisis Management DO NOT delete negative comments DO set guidelines for deleting spam, profanity, slander, etc.  Example: www.facebook.com/libraryofcongress DO have a crisis management plan  http://www.mackcollier.com/social-media-crisis- management/
17. Articles of Interest How to Develop a Social Media Content Strategy - http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to- develop-a-social-media-content-strategy/ The Ultimate Glossary: 120 Social Media Marketing Terms Explained - http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/6126 /The-Ultimate-Glossary-120-Social-Media- Marketing-Terms-Explained.aspx
18. Articles of Interest Top 10 Marketing Trends for 2012 - http://www.business2community.com/marketing/t op-ten-marketing-trends-for-2012-0112545
19. Resources Management tools  YouTube Channels  www.hootsuite.com  SocialMedia Today  www.tweetdeck.com  Social Media Examiner  www.ping.fm  Industry Experts Blogs  Mack Collier –  Mashable – www.mashable.com www.mackcollier.com  HubSpot – www.hubspot.com  Chris Brogan –  Facebook Pages Resources Tab – www.chrisbrogan.com www.facebook.com/facebookpages  Scott Stratten – LinkedIn Groups www.unmarketing.com  Social Media Today  Fans of Mashable  eMarketing Association Network