● Focus on the Parent-Child Relationship
● Recognize what you bring to the
● Value passion wherever you find it
● Look for opportunities to support parental
Key Principles for New Media
Why are we using new media?
For whose benefit?
Are we being explicit?
Is it developmentally appropriate?
Does it support parent-child engagement?
What is the impact?
Nosy Crow Fairy Tale
Cat in the Hat Learning Library
● Text & Readability
● Ease of Use
● Use in Storytime/Home
● Choose a song, story or rhyme you know
● Depict your song, story or rhyme using the
Felt Board app
● Explain how you can use this tool to
promote relationship building and early
Felt Board Activity
● Engagement: Focus on the parent-child
● Technology as a tool (not a replacement)
● Not all screens are created equal
● Welcome slide
● Lyrics (optional)
● Prompts (optional)
● Resource slide (with links; can be
uploaded to website)
iPad as presentation tool
● Digital felt board (or MGOL app)
● Book app or digital book
● Digital music or sounds
● Non-book app (Wee Sing etc)
● Create your own content (30hands etc)
● Screen shots or images
● Remember non-digital tools!
Storytime Practice Assignment
Technology handled with careful
consideration, in moderation; in ways that fit
in with the program’s intent and don’t
overwhelm, that enhance but don’t replace,
and that encourage parent/child interaction is
appropriate for use in a Mother Goose on the
When preparing your Storytime...
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.