1. 10 Commandments of Netiquette There are some rules that apply to all of us as we go about our lives - a certain etiquette !!But have you heard the word netiquette? What is it?Do’s and Donts that apply to:Email, Forums, Blogs, Wiki’s, Web and Social media sites!
2. Commandment 1Do not say something online that you would not say if the person was in front of you!Just because you are in front of a computer does not mean there is not a real person on the other end .
3. Commandment 2Cyberspace can be likened to being introduced to a new culture!Misunderstanding can occur due to miscommunication and misinterpretation.Remember verbal cues and body language are not present so beattentive – Talk not type if things don’t feel right!
4. Commandment 3Participate in the online forums and webinars! Initially take time to feel comfortable and understand what is going on….this is called lurking! But then jump in and have a go. Schedule time! Make a commitment to the process. Think before you send – double check the “tone” Don’t be emotive. Keep your posts to the point and on topic. Respect the fact that we are all busy.
5. Commandment 4Don’t : Use Capitals it equals yelling Use inappropriate language like swearing. Remember you are at work Share others work without permission – this includes emailsDo : Use emoticons (yes another new word for some) it helps in the absence of tone and body language Ask if you are unsure. Use spell check and proof read your work – hint use Word Use F2f and the phone as required Use common sense Reference your work
6. Commandment 5Respect others opinions and cultures as you would have them respect your own. Your opinion is not the only one that matters. Give others the freedom to think and explore new concepts and ideas.
7. Commandment 6When you are online you are leaving a “cyber-footprint”. Privacy is an illusion!!
8. Commandment 7Remember that the law still applies in cyberspace. Never joke about committing illegal acts on-line.Understand what workplace Policy’s and procedures apply.
9. Commandment 8Be careful with humour and sarcasm. One person’s humorous comment may push another person’s buttons or may even be seen as offensive.Let’s have fun but be mindful “jokes” about race, gender etc are often disguises for an “ism” racism, sexism etc.
10. Commandment 9Online expressions of hostility are not acceptable.Difference of opinion is encouraged but needs to be delivered in a respectful manner.Everyone’s views need to be appreciated and valued
11. Commandment 10Be kind and avoid reprimanding others online for mistakes. To err is human. To forgive is …. ??
12. 10 Commandments of NetiquetteReferenceNetiquette slidesU-Tube - Netiquette