Cisco vs. Shoreline:
The Impact of VoIP Architecture on
Management, Functionality and TCO
A study commissioned by Shoreline Communications, Inc.
2251 Landmark Place
Manasquan, NJ 08736
Kevin Tolly, Pres./CEO
Charles Bruno, Exec. Editor
7.2 Appendix A: Lessons in Configuration – Configuring an IP Phone
Cisco Steps Shoreline Steps
1. Add phones to DHCP: 1. Reserve a port on ShoreGear switch
a. Create reservations for IP for IP phone.
phone addresses. 2. Add phones to DHCP:
b. Add appropriate options to a. Create reservations for IP
phone reservations. phone addresses.
2. Plug in IP phone at user location b. Add appropriate options to
3. Add phone to Cisco Call Manager. phone reservations.
4. Specify phone type and model. 3. Plug in IP phone at user location
5. Assign extension to IP phone. 4. Add phone to ShoreWare Director.
5. Assign extension to the phone.