1. 108 European Insurance and Reinsurance News Highlights, Trends
1. 40% of polled European insurers will not be ready for Solvency II by 2013
2. http://SolvencyDeux.com Covers Solvency II (European Insurance Regulations)
3. 8 Possible Side Effects to Solvency II European Insurance Regulation
4. European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority to Start Regulatory
5. 2010 Actuarial Awards Announced in Europe
6. Solvency II is a Compliance Cash Cow
7. Groupe Consultatif Actuariel Européen Explains Insurer Insolvencies vs. Bank
8. Ireland Seeks to Introduce Islamic Finance Laws
9. European Insurers versus European Pension Funds: Who Will Win the Solvency
10. More Solvency II Hand Wringing Coming out of Europe
11. European Union Bails Out Ireland for US$89 Billion #banks #bailout
12. Atropos Insurance Linked Securities Fund to Launch in Luxembourg
13. ING US and European Insurance Units to IPO
14. Mega Broker Says Solvency II Could Be Catastrophic in Europe
15. UK’s International Underwriting Association Decries Dearth of Qualified
16. Majority of Island Capital and Island Capital (Europe) sold to Tawa
2. 17. Check Out the $51 Billion Windstorm Europe Will Need to Prepare For Under
18. Does Solvency II Expect Insurers to Cover a $50 Billion European
19. CEIOPS Might Publish Solvency II Test Results in March, 2011
20. European Pension Funds Say Nyet to Solvency II
21. Switzerland, Bermuda and Japan to Undergo Equivalency Reviews by the
Solvency II Crew
22. Starr Underwriting Agents Ltd. enter France
23. Oliver Wyman and Morgan Stanley report on Solvency II’s Expected Effects
24. Liberty Syndicates Enters Weather Risk Market
25. CUNA Mutual Expects European Growth Partially Due to Solvency II
26. European Cyclone Model improved by AIR Worldwide
27. Aegon Threatens to Redomicile to Avoid Solvency II
28. Automated Data Flow Map released for Solvency II QIS5 Spreadsheet
29. Roughly 40% of World’s Wealth belongs to Americans; 30% belongs to
30. US, Bermuda and European Reinsurers divided on Business Strategies
31. European Union Approves Yet More Regulators. You’re Gonna Need a Bigger
32. What is the European Insurance and Pensions Committee?
33. What is the European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority?
3. 34. Chartis Europe CEO says Some Small Insurers Will Merge or be Acquired
under Solvency II
35. What is the Committee of European Insurance & Occupational Pensions
36. Lloyd’s is concerned that 6 Managing Agents will have issues with Solvency II
37. Greenlight Capital Re enters Dublin, Ireland
38. Top Reinsurer Domicile: Who Will Win, Europe or Bermuda?
39. Solvency II Reforms will alter Europe’s Financial Institutions muchly
40. Hannover Re says to Solvency II: Bring It On.
41. The Death of Credit Raters due to Solvency II has been exaggerated.
42. European Wind Risk Model updated by AIR Worldwide
43. Risk Managers must also focus on corporate governance due to Solvency II
44. Milliman Report on the impact of Solvency II on the European Life Insurance
45. Novae Re enters credit and surety reinsurance businesses
46. Insurance IT Outsourcing: Additional Top Markets
47. XL Re’s CFO says Solvency II may bring M&A, domicile change and
48. Vanbreda International sold to CIGNA
49. European Windstorms: Aon Benfield and University of Cologne to study them
50. Twelve Capital launched, Insurance-Linked Securities investment firm.
51. Defined Benefit Pensions: How will Solvency II affect them?
4. 52. Private Equity investors need to think about Solvency II
53. Asset-backed Annuities to grow under Solvency II
54. European Commission’s 5th Quantitative Impact Study is underway
55. European CFOs want fair and balanced Solvency II capital rules
56. The C-Level Actuary: How Did Actuaries Get Beyond Their Actuarial Jobs?
57. The British Spend $20+ Million Annually Repairing their Homes After Parties
58. Oslo Reinsurance Company (UK) Limited sold to Tawa
59. Will the CERA become the “gold standard” for risk management?
60. Executive’s Guide to Solvency II by Jason Wahl, David Buckham, Stuart Rose
61. Does Solvency II Introduce Systemic Risk?
62. Life Expectancy Increases Are Messing With Pensions
63. Tertiary Portfolio Advisors Launched
64. Solvency II Ignores Catastrophe Modeling Advances, Says Aon Benfield
65. United Kingdom Organizations Start Solvency II Pre-Application Process
66. Do You Need a Solvency II To-Do Checklist? Northdoor Has One.
67. Mercer Plans to Grow in Belfast, Northern Ireland with 45 New Jobs
68. UK Auto Insurance Losses Increasing Bunches and Bunches
69. Annuity Rates are Declining Due to Solvency II Costs Being Factored In
70. Aegon closes third-party pension admin and benefits software businesses in UK
71. “Pirate Attacks Make Risk Estimation Difficult”, say UK Actuaries
5. 72. PwC and Ernst & Young Under Investigation in UK over JP Morgan and
73. Could Sea Levels in the United Kingdom Rise by 1 Foot by 2050?
74. Fortis Life Insurance Ukraine sold to Horizon Capital
75. Aston Business School looks at the convergence in approaches by Bermuda &
76. Don’t Hire New Solvency II Employees. Train Your Existing Employees.
77. Don’t Use A Standard Formula to Set Capital Requirements under Solvency II,
says Fortis CRO
78. UK Actuaries funding Enterprise Risk Management Projects
79. UK Charities with compulsory pension enrollment might have problems
80. Chinese Investors Considering Prudential PLC (UK) takeover
81. Demand for Longevity Insurance to increase: Swiss Re says big risk.
82. Criminal Reduction Utilizing Statistical History, UK & USA Predictive
83. Emerging Risk in Life Insurance, A New Approach for Actuaries
84. Actuarial Mottos: Are You Good at Writing Them? How About Theme Songs?
85. Hot Cheese: Swiss Re shareholders might shoot it at Chairman
86. How much will Solvency II cost?
87. Solvency II will increase compensation
88. Asset-backed Annuities to grow under Solvency II
89. Lloyd’s Managing Agents hire 126 actuaries. Solvency II a major reason.
6. 90. R&Q Commercial Risk Services Ltd. Launched
91. Credit Insurer, Equinox Global, Launched in London
92. Solvency II Will Drive Bond Yields Lower Due to Increased Bond Investment
93. Rasini Viganò brokerage firm sold to Aon
94. TigerRisk reinsurance brokerage might enter London
95. United Kingdom Insurance Companies Ready for Regulatory Uncertainty
96. Marine, Aviation and Transport Insurers must raise rates due to Solvency II
97. Government-issued longevity bonds as an insurance trend to watch
98. Admiral Group to Launch Direct Insurance Operation in France
99. Starr Underwriting Agents Ltd. enter France
100. Insurance Company IT Performance Suffering due to Comparison Websites
101. CIGNA to write health insurance in Spain
102. Germany is on the Cutting Edge of Liability-Driven Investment
103. Lloyd’s Enters Russia
104. Accenture to Create 100 Predictive Analytics Jobs in Ireland
105. Solvency II expected to create 250+ actuarial jobs in Ireland
106. 123 Money (Ireland) sold to RSA Insurance Group
107. Dublin broker Insure.ie sold to Aon
108. Irish Life is looking at making acquisitions