Unit 2, Lesson 3:
Lesson Objective: 10.1.3
10.1.3: Students relate the moral and ethical principles in ancient Greek and Roman philosophy, in Judaism,
and in Christianity to the development of Western political thought. Consider the influence of the U.S.
Constitution on political systems in the contemporary world.
Like early Greece, early Romans contributed much to the future western culture, values and institutions. The
early Romans began a republic, which allowed representative government. Roman access to the
Mediterranean Sea and the development of their commercial road system gave them a powerful advantage
over enemies like Hannibal of Carthage. Leaders, like Julius Ceasar and Augustus left a large mark on Rome
as an empire. With the rise of Christianity, and the acceptance by the Roman emperor, Constantine, this new
religion spread across Roman empire lands, becoming more of a world religion. Evidence of Roman culture
and influence can still be found through Europe, North America, Asia and in Africa.
Chapter 6, Sections 5 (Roman Empire)
Chapter 22, Section 4 (Influence on American government)
1. True/False: The major power struggles in the early Roman republic were between the military and
2. Which of the following did NOT contribute to the fall of the Roman Empire?
A. Economic Weakness
B. Military instability
C. Citizens’ indifference
D. Removal of the Jewish population
3. The people of the Roman town of Pompeii were killed by
A. a flood
B. a volcano
C. an earthquake
D. a Hun invasion
4. The family of languages that developed from Latin are called
A. Derived languages
B. Classical languages
C. Romance languages
D. Greco-Roman languages
5. Which was NOT true about the Roman code of laws known as the Twelve Tables?
A. It was written down
B. It was publicly displayed
C. It gave legal protection to all citizens
D. It allowed for flexible interpretation of the law
Write a 6 paragraph (including introduction and conclusion paragraph) compare and contrast essay about
Greece and Rome. Include two comparisons and two differences. Choose between their political beliefs,
economy, military, philosophy and/or leadership characteristics. Make sure to mention the influence Greece
and Rome had on political systems, like the U.S. Constitution.
1. Which of the following is not an achievement of the Roman Empire?
A. The spread of a major religion throughout an empire
B. The creation of aqueducts
C. Network of commercial roads
D. All of the above were accomplishments of the Roman Empire
2. Which of the following is considered Greco-Roman culture?
A. Greek, Hellenistic, and Roman cultures
B. Greek, Roman, and Egyptian cultures
C. Greek, Spanish and Roman cultures
D. Greek, Jewish, and Roman cultures
5. Which of the following languages are considered Latin languages?
A. Italian, Portuguese, Mayan
B. Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi
C. Portuguese, Spanish, Italian
D. Italians, Romanians, and Chinese
Final Exam Questions:
1. Which of the following was NOT a reason for the decline of the Roman Empire?
A. a strong military
B. the huge amount of money spent on defense, coupled with inflation