Past alumni giving research has focused on characteristics of alumni who give; little research has explored motivations for giving.Research has shown a relationship between satisfaction with the student experience and alumni giving intentions.(Baade & Sundberg, 1996; Stutler, 1996; Clotfelter, 2001; Gaier, 2001; Monks, 2003; Cabrera, Weerts, & Zulick, 2005; McDearmon & Shirley, 2009)Involvement in student groups and campus life is also shown to affect alumni giving.(Bruggink & Siddiqui, 1995; Monks, 2003; Steeper, 2009 ) Voluntary giving is the largest source of private funding for colleges and universities(Council for Aid to Education, 2009) In 2008, $31.6 billion was donated to colleges and universities, the highest amount ever recorded(Council for Aid to Education, 2009) Weak economy = decrease in alumni donations (Council for Aid to Education, 2010) Alumni giving = charitable giving oLit review of philanthropy and charitable giving, forms of prosocial behavior.Why do people behave prosocially?oAwareness of needoSolicitationoCosts and benefits (economic model)oEgoistic motivation (“warm glow”; exchange and reciprocity)oAltruism Understanding why individuals choose to give is important in fundraising.
1. +Student Affairs and AlumniRelations PartnershipsCarolyn GolzSenior Associate Dean of StudentsTimothy State ’93Associate Vice President for Alumni Programs
2. + How many of you know and workwith your alumni relations teamregularly?
3. +Research Alma Mater = Nurturing mother Past alumni research has mostly focused on characteristics ofalumni who give; little research has explored motivations forgiving. Relationship between satisfaction with student experience andalumni giving intentions(Baade & Sundberg, 1996; Clotfelter, 2001; Gaier, 2001; Monks, 2003; Cabrera, Weerts, &Zulick, 2005; McDearmon & Shirley, 2009) Involvement in student groups and campus life is also shown toaffect alumni giving(Bruggink & Siddiqui, 1995; Monks, 2003; Steeper, 2009)
4. +Lake Forest College Focus Group The College does not need money The College is not a philanthropy – philanthropy is social, for acause Philanthropy is not writing a check Students did not spend much time thinking about their financialaid Organizations they align themselves with are dictated byfriends and Greek-life chapters
5. +Finding Common GroundWays Lake Forest Collaborates
6. +Defining Common GoalsHomecoming, Reunion, and Family Weekend
7. +Homecoming Mission Homecoming celebrates the past, present, and future of LakeForest College, and reaffirms the idea that we all—students, alumni, families, faculty, and staff—are members ofour Forester community forever. Events during Homecoming connectalumni, families, students, faculty and staff, and provide theopportunity for all members of our Forester community toengage with each other while demonstrating their pride in theCollege.Guides all aspects of programming
8. +Senior SteeringCommitteeCreates a bridge between studentaffairs and alumni
9. +Orientation & Res Life TrainingAlumni provide perspective
10. +Alumni VolunteersSupport the student development process
11. +Recent Graduate Giving6.9%9.3%10.6%16.2%0.0%5.0%10.0%15.0%20.0%25.0%30.0%2009 2010 2011 2012Alumni giving in the first 5 yearsThe Class of 2012 is NOT included in this data
13. +Review Partnering helps create an engaging community on campusand positive student experience Important to create a campus culture where students see theinstitution as a philanthropy, worthy of their support Engaging students with alumni before they graduate will easetheir transition and lead to a more engaged young alumni base