A closer look at NetFlix in CanadaA closer look at NetFlix in Canada
By Carolina PinhoBy Carolina Pinho
• NetFlix is an Internet movie subscription service that offers the
opportunity to instantly watch unlimited movies and TV
episodes streamed from NetFlix to TVs and computers.
• Officially launched in Canada on September 22nd
, 2010, the
introduction marks the first availability of the NetFlix service
outside the United States.
• The cost is $7.99 a month. A free one month trial is offered in
order to enhance customer’s experience.
Objective and Criterias
• The purpose of this analysis is to explore how Twitter was
affected by the launch of NetFlix in Canada.
• The following criterias were adopted:
Timeline used: from May 8th
, 2010 to Nov 6th
Language chosen: English.
Keywords used on search: NetFlix.
Country chosen: Canada.
• Results: over 42,823 tweets and 26.5 million impressions.
• Zip.ca is NetFlix’ strongest competitor, offering online orders
and mail delivers and returns.
The cheapest plan offered costs $10.95 per month and
allows only one DVD out –a-time with unlimited DVDs out
There are no due dates or late fees.
Only 96 tweets sent from May 8th
, 2010 to Nov 6th
compared to 42,823 NetFlix tweets sent over the same
NetFlix’s Tweets Popularity
• Burst of 8156 tweets on Sep 22nd
, when the product was launched in Canada.
• 2961 tweets on July 19th
when NetFlix announced product launch in Canada
(compare it to 21 tweets on the previous day and 519 on the following day ).
• A few days after the official launch in September 22nd
, the number of tweets
almost went back to the pre- launch average of 500 tweets per day.
• Some companies are now hiring a “monitor”, someone who will spend their
time monitoring social media conversations , interfering at the exact moment
when a simple comment can become a huge problem or even a crisis.
• Knowing the top ten twitter users, NetFlix could monitor what they are talking
on twitter and interfere if and when necessary.
Twitter Users with Most Mentions
Twitter Sources for NetFlix
Reach: 26.5 million impressions
Total Tweet Count: 42,823 (estimated total)
• The blue graphic shows us that 58.60%
of messages are regular tweets, against
11.47% Retweets and 29.92% Replies.
• This means that Twitter users are not
engaging on conversations neither
creating new content.
• The orange chart shows us that each Twitter user
is exposed just once to a tweet.
• This confirms that Twitter messages about NetFlix
are not having a lot of exposure.
Twitter Reach for NetFlix
• The BuzzGraph shows the
words that appear frequently
• Although the product is also
available on PS3 and Nintendo
Wii, the graphic shows Xbox as
the strongest connexion to the
product. This is a relevant
information that NetFlix could
use when planning the strategy
for a new campaign.
• Those keywords seen on the
graph can also be used in the
event of a new search (NetFlix
decides to understand better
what people are saying about
them and Xbox for example).
The NetFlix’s BuzzGraph
• Sentiment shows that a large quantity of messages on twitter are
• Positive and Negative comments are balanced
• Again, we confirm that NetFlix is not getting exposure as Twitter
users are not engaging conversations or creating a new content.
• Many twitter users have a neutral opinion about NetFlix (80%). Yet, there
was a huge burst on Sep. 22nd
confirming that twitter users know the brand,
are interested on the service but somehow get disappointed when
experiencing the product.
• NetFlix should leverage MAP with the following actions:
• Listen and monitor what people are saying about their product and
brand on the social medias. Based on that, improve their product (e.g.
offering more movies tittles and new releases).
• Listen to what people are talking about NetFlix and Xbox, using this
strong linkage in their marketing and sales strategies, as Xbox is a
• Knowing who the top ten twitter users are allows NetFlix to monitor
what they are talking on twitter and interfere if and when necessary.
Taking charge of the situation as early as possible will help NetFlix to
avoid future problems or even a crisis.