Bridges become frames for looking at the world around us.Lea Wikman, lobbied Don Clark, Multnomah CountyExecutive, for the county to build a covered span.He agreed and suggested that the bridge "beover a stream where the foliage is thick and turnsto shades of yellow and orange in the autumn andchildren can peer out windows to see the watersbelow."
Historical Marker• This covered bridge, the first ever built in Multnomah County, was dedicated January 16, 1982, by County Executive Donald E. Clark and Lea Wikman, chairwomen of Powellhurst Community Planning Group, as a nostalgic tribute to ingenious frontiersmen who built such structures throughout western Oregon in the 19th and 20th centuries.• The bridge was named by Ginell Lamont in a contest among David Douglas School students.• The creek below is named for William Johnson who built a sawmill in Lents in the 1850’s. The road commemorates WA Deardorf, who petitioned the County to build the original road in 1898.
Lea Wikman, head of the CommunityCovered Bridge Committee….assistedin the ceremony.
Todays Bridge2010 National Bridge ReportDaily traffic 1476 (2% trucks)Deck satisfactory conditionSubstructure good conditionSuperstructure very good condition
Credits• Photos: Steve Turner, Western Wood Products; Tim McCann, Lea Wikman Archive; The Oregonian, Randy Wood;• Sources: The Bridge Lady, Sharon Wood-Wortman; The Oregonian; Wikman Family Archives;• Produced by: Wikman Multi-Media