1. EndNote TutorialUniversity of the West Indies Mona Medical Branch Library Prepared by Faith McKoy-Johnson Librarian © UWI Mona Library, 2012
2. Create an EndNote Library  Open the EndNote programme  Select the “Create a new EndNote library” option and click OK
3. Create an EndNote Library  The “New Reference Library” box will appear  Name the library and select a folder and save your new EndNote Library
4. Adding References  You can now enter references manually to your new library or import them electronically from databases such as PubMed
5. Manually Adding References to EndNote  Click on Reference >>New Reference  The default Reference Type is Journal Article but this can be changed by choosing from the drop down menu  Enter the reference according to the fields provided.  For the author field type one author per line.  Brown, John • There must be a space or period between initials. Periods are optional with initials.  John Brown  There should be no commas where the name is entered in “first last” format
6. Importing Citations from PubMed Select citations you wish to import from your PubMed search results Click Send to>>File and select Medline from the Format option Click Create file, name the file and save it in the appropriate folder.
7. Importing Citations from PubMed Click File>>Import>>Choose file and then select the text file you just saved Select PubMed (NLM) from Import Option and then click Import. Your PubMed citations will then be imported into your EndNote library.
8. Exporting References from EBSCOhost From your search results click Add to folder for each citation you would like to export. Click Folder view in the right hand column.
9. Click EXPORT
10. Select Direct Export in RIS Format and then SAVE.
11. Exporting References from EBSCOhost Double click on the new file, select EndNote and click OK. Open the file of your EndNote library. Your EBSCOhost citations are now in your library.
12. Creating a Bibliography Click Edit>>Open styles>>Open style manager and select the output styles you want in your list. Close the window then click Edit>>Output styles and select one for your bibliography Click File>>Print preview to see how your bibliography looks.
13. Generating a Bibliography From EndNote Library Click File>>Export Name the bibliography and select RTF from the “Save as type” option From the “Output style” option select the citation style Save in the appropriate folder
14. Adding Citations to a Word Document In your Word document place your cursor where you want to place a citation Click Insert citation In the window displayed enter a word or group of words within the relevant citation and click Search.
15. Select the reference that you would like to cite inyour paper.Click Tools>>Cite while you write>>Insertselected citation(s)
16. For further information contact...Medical Branch LibraryTelephone: 927-1073Email: email@example.comTwitter: @uwimonamedlib