Getting hold of the investment
incentives offered by the DTI.
Speaker: Theo Meintjes
The dti’s incentive programs
Compiled by Dectra
• The Enterprise Organisation (TEO)
• Head office and regional offices
• A DDG in charge
• More than 20 cash grant programs
• Manual / electronic
• Try to contact the DTI by phone
• Email communication
DTI's Incentive 4
A niche industry
Specialised knowledge, Experience, systems.
The ICA (Incentive Consultants Association)
Accreditation by DTI
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Some Crooks & Robbers
DTI's Incentive 5
structure of incentive programs
• Generic / Sector specific
• Subsidise input costs
• Cost sharing (never 100%)
• Taxable/ Tax Exempt
• Two stages: 1. Apply 2. Claim.
• Application based on projections: Check Qualifying
• Claims verified by inspectors & your auditors: Check
DTI's Incentive 6
Frequently asked questions
• Does the government have the money?
• Is it only for Black people?
• Am I too rich or too poor perhaps?
• Can I get a grant to start my project?
• Is it worth the trouble?
• How long will it take?
• How do they pay it?
• Can I explain my situation to the DTI?
DTI's Incentive 7
The role of auditors
• Factual findings report
• Financial statements
• Management accounts
• Divisional accounts
• NB: alert clients about incentive support
DTI's Incentive 11
• Large variety of incentive programs
• Incentives are almost always valuable
• But not always useful
• Lack of experience and of system could cost
you the grant
• Dectra firstname.lastname@example.org www.dectra.co.za
• ICA www.incentiveconsultants.co.za
DTI's Incentive 12