As a Software Consultant, Brian has a very successful record delivering software
consistently and on time. His extensive engineering background and his ability
to see the larger picture make him a strong leader who excels at developing
technology, managing people, and delivering solutions.
Capable Personality Valuable Experience Storage Industry Expert
Instructor, Lead Developer, UNIX & Linux Kernel, SAN Topology, Cloud Storage
Company Public Representative Capable Windows Developer SCSI, Fibre Channel, iSCSI
Object Oriented Developer Hard Core Low Level/Embedded Work Innovative Solution Finder
May ’07 – Present – Entrepreneur, Principle Software Engineer – FideSoftware, DVDCorral –
• Built DVDCorral.com – Developed 95% of software, Managed 2 countries’ development of remainder
• Completed design, development, marketing, and release of iPhone apps. (More detail on web-resume.)
December ’07 – March ‘09 – Manager, Clarity Software and Services – TwinStrata, Inc. –
• Bootstrap Startup – Managed Engineering and Developed Software
• Responsible for the Development, QA, and Release Teams for Clarity AP Software.
• Developed storage assessment program called Clarity AP
o Co-Developed Clarity AP and brought product to market (written in Adobe Flex/AIR/ActionScript).
o Released 3 major product versions within the first year.
o Fully integrated product with online web portal.
• Directed offshore team, saving the company 60% in development costs and delivering timely releases of web
and desktop software.
(VMWare, Virtualbox); JSON, XML, AJAX
June ’07 – March ‘08 – Software Consultant – iRobot –
• Wrote Wolfson Micro 8750 Audio Driver for Arm9 platform (Linux 2.4 Kernel).
• Software Engineering (Development) and Team Integration of ConnectR, iRobot’s Virtual Visiting Robot
• Managed relationship with Software Development and QA teams across 4 countries and 3 continents
• Implemented a complete "touchless" Robot Configuration via various Web Technologies (see below)
• Developed complete Robot Wireless Networking (802.11G) configuration including driver fixes
• Wrote Robot Manufacturing Built-in Test, a complete test suite for Chinese manufacturing site
• Designed and Implemented fully-automated recoverable boot process, handlig automatic downloads and
performing self-correcting updates
• Integrated entire SIP stack into robot operation in coordination with multiple backend servers handling both
STUN and TURN traffic
Technologies: Embedded, Robotics, Linux, Device Drivers (Audio/Video, 802.11, GPIO, etc.), UNIX; C, Python,
January ’04 – April ‘07 – OEM Engineering Manager – Incipient –
• 25-50% Travel, building partner relationships and architecting solutions together.
• Incipient representative to T11.5 meetings (Fibre Channel Standards Organization).
• Management of resources, internally and externally, to complete high-profile projects.
• Balanced partner development / liaison role with a device driver / embedded real-time technical role.
• Develop and Architect solutions for Engineering Partners.
• Managed entire product life-cycle including extensive Beta program with Fortune 500 Companies.
Technologies: Embedded, Linux (Device Driver / User Space), UNIX; C, Bourne Shell; SAN Virtualization, Fibre
Channel (hardware and protocol), SCSI (hardware and protocol), RAID, Various FC Arrays & Switches
March ’00 – January ‘04 – Lead Developer, Secure Path UNIX – HP, Formerly Compaq –
• Project leader of ~25 engineers for Secure Path UNIX.
• Coordinated cross-functional engineering teams between the US and India.
• Worked extensively with large RAID storage systems from vendors such as Compaq, HP, EMC, and IBM.
• Lead Developer for “Must Win” project with corporate-wide recognition for porting a RAID Array device
driver to Solaris; received a special recognition award for a timely completion of this high priority project.
• Represented Compaq/HP at Fortune 500 customer sites.
• Taught Compaq storage classes at ENSA @Work Storage Conference.
• Gave several group-wide (~40 developers) seminars on C++, CVS, et al.
• Designed and Coded the multi-threaded daemon used for user interface to Secure Path.
• Group expert on the Fibre Channel analyzer, analyzing data in both SCSI and Fibre Channel protocols.
• Worked on driver interface and on enhancing the driver or adding support for arrays.
• Organized and coordinated source code using CVS and documenting the process.
Technologies: SAN Multipathing, AIX, Solaris, and Linux (Device Driver, Administration, User Space), UNIX;
OO, C++, C, Korn Shell; SAN, Fibre Channel (hardware and protocol), SCSI (hardware and protocol), RAID
June ‘97 – March ‘00 – Software Engineer / Linux Expert - Microlite Corporation –
• Full Life Cycle work on several mid-scale projects (50-80k lines ea.).
• Co-created the OOD of all currently shipping products.
• Responsible for all company’s Linux research and most of the Linux development.
• Implemented GUI interfaces working in XWindows, win32, ncurses, and Java.
• Wrote low-level SCSI interfaces and drivers on several platforms.
• Architected RecoverEDGE, designing the 2.0 version for Linux from the ground up.
• 10% travel, spent forming business relationships and establishing a presence in our target markets.
Main Development Project, RecoverEDGE, won SCO World’s Top of the World award for 2000!
Technologies: OO, C++, C, UNIX, Java, Shell Scripting; AIX, Digital UNIX, HP-UX, Linux, SCO UnixWare,
SCO UNIX, SCO OpenServer, Solaris, Windows; Tape Drives, SCSI
September ‘96 - May ‘97 - Computer Science - Rochester Institute of Technology –
Technologies: OO, C++, C, Java, x86/MIPS Assembly Language, Python, Eiffel; NetBSD, SunOS, IRIX, Digital
UNIX, SysV, Linux, Inferno, Ultrix (Kernel Level on several)
1990 – 1996 – Detailed Resume Online – http://www.csh.rit.edu/~geisel/resume.html
Technologies: Virtual Reality, C, x86 Assembly, Video Graphics Hardware, Low-Level system interfacing,
Database Management, PC Hardware
Technical Experience and Skills
Operating System Knowledge (Development) – GUI Experience – Xwindows, Win95/NT/XP/.NET
Digital UNIX, DOS, HP-UX, IBM AIX, Linux, Net- win32, Java, ncurses; designed and assisted
BSD, SCO UNIX and OpenServer, SCO UnixWare, SGI implementation of a multi-platform interface package
IRIX, Sun Solaris, Ultrix, Windows 95/NT/XP Instructor – Gave seminars in C, C++, x86 Assembly
(5 part series), Storage Virtualization (FAIS), DOS
Languages – Strong: C, C++, Assembly (x86, internals, CVS, and general UNIX usage; Co-instructed a
shell scripting; also ActionScript, BASIC, Eiffel, Perl, Taught Compaq product usage at ENSA@Work Storage
Pascal, Python, HTML, et al. Conference
Linux Experience –SCSI drivers and patches (kernel Architect – Designed the Secure Path daemon and User
modules); SCSI code and Qlogic Fibre Channel drivers Interface, then helped build a team and worked with
them to develop the product; Start to finish design of
Storage Hardware – HP (EVA, MSA & HSG80), RecoverEDGE for Linux
IBM (ESS, FAStT, SVC, DS/8000, DS/6000), EMC
(Symmetrix, Clariion), LSI, STK, 3Par.; Various Cloud Device Drivers – Work on several platforms including
Storage (REST, iSCSI) Linux, NetBSD, Solaris, and Ultrix ranging from video
drivers to SCSI interface drivers
Network Experience – UNIX sockets programming;
DNS/BIND, Sendmail, httpd, ftpd, etc.; Working Low-level Work - Intel and MIPS Assembler, DOS
knowledge of TCP, UDP, IP, STUN, TURN, RTP, ‘kernel’ and driver development, Embedded work on
MSRP, SOAP, REST; SAN several platforms; Many SCSI ports, working on AIX,
Linux, SCO UnixWare, HP-UX, Digital UNIX, and
• Team Player – Self-disciplined/motivated with an exceptional ability to manage teams and work with people, but
also focused and able to work alone (and experienced in both).
• Experienced – Over 15 years of diverse experience, with a passion (and ability) to learn remarkably fast.
• Hard Worker – Whether the deadline is in 2012 or in an hour, product will always be consistent: clean,
documented, organized and well-coordinated. Release dates have been hit on target with consistency.
• Personable – Regularly represented Microlite Corp., Compaq Computer, Hewlett-Packard, and Incipient at various
Fortune 100 Customers domestically and internationally as well as teaching classes, etc. Willing to travel.
• Teachable – Able to work around problems and work in any environment (although tundras – such as Hoth - are
generally frowned upon) and always willing to learn new ideas, concepts, and solutions.
• Versatile – From a teacher and seminar instructor to a team leader or developing business relationships,
comfortable in management, business, engineering, personal, and teaching roles.
When necessary both technical and personal references are available; however, to protect the
privacy of my references, references will be distributed only once under reasonable consideration.