Oil prices, Energy consumption, Commodity prices on Water usage, Air pollution and climate change awareness Demands on companies from major stakeholder groups, such as shareholders, employees, and financial institutions Corporate transparency (the Global Reporting Initiative, OECD guidelines, the UN Global Compact) Dow Jones Global Index and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index showed that the Sustainability Index significantly outperformed the other index, Socially Responsible Investment (SRI), Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) Peer pressure is influencing companies to be more transparent Sustainable development becomes more engrained in companies and their governance structures, it will challenge and eventually change the parameters of acceptable corporate behavior Copyright 2009 Oracle Corporation.
Three times more efficient than other server virtualization products
Reduce power and space requirements
Oracle Active Data Guard
Leverage your existing disaster recovery site
No additional storage or servers required
Offload resource-intensive activities from the production database
Oracle Advanced Compression
Use resources more efficiently
Reduce disk space requirements
Lower storage costs
Eco-Efficient Data Centers Copyright 2009 Oracle Corporation.
<Insert Picture Here> Some of the things we’ve been up to… And how our products help us, and our customers, go green
Oracle Corporate Citizenship Oracle is committed to using our technology and resources to advance education in innovative ways, protect the environment, promote diversity, and enrich community life. Copyright 2009 Oracle Corporation. www.oracle.com/commitment
Energy usage reduced to < 0.5kWh supporting each kWh of IT equipment
Support energy use is >50% less than typical industry practice
Austin Data Center Towards an Energy Efficient Benchmark Copyright 2009 Oracle Corporation.
<Insert Picture Here> "Technology vendors have a critical role to play to enable more sustainable business practices," said Cody Sisco, Manager of Advisory Services at BSR (Business for Social Responsibility). "The emphasis on sustainability at Oracle's global customer and partner event demonstrates how important it considers these opportunities. Through Oracle's "Enable the Eco-Enterprise" awards, Oracle is rewarding more sustainable business practices, and demonstrating how other organizations can use technology to cut costs, improve business efficiencies, and minimize their environmental impacts. We encourage Oracle and the software industry to continue to accelerate their customers' progress in addressing sustainability challenges." Enabling the Eco-Enterprise Award
Oracle products that help reduce costs by optimizing resource utilization and minimizing an organization’s carbon footprint:
• Oracle Real Application Clusters allow customers to add capacity on demand with one inexpensive PC server at a time. This helps save on electricity, cooling, and floor space.
• Oracle Active Data Guard offloads resource-intensive activities from databases in the primary data center to an underutilized standby site. This enables greater hardware efficiency and lower operating costs.
• Oracle Advanced Compression compresses any type of data, including structured and unstructured data such as documents, images, and multimedia, as well as network traffic and data generated in the process of being backed up. As a result, companies can significantly lower storage requirements, increasing energy efficiency.
• Oracle VM is server virtualization software that fully supports both Oracle and non-Oracle applications. With Oracle VM, companies can consolidate servers and reduce power consumption.
• Oracle Self-Service Applications automate formerly paper-driven processes. With these applications, companies can reduce a company’s carbon footprint by cutting consumption of natural resources through elimination of printing and distribution. Oracle Self-Service Applications include the following:
- Oracle Procurement — manages the procurement of goods and services online
- Oracle Internet Expenses — manages the expense reimbursement process
- Oracle Payables —automates invoice processing
- Oracle eBilling Manager —enables online bill access and payment
- Oracle Web Conferencing — enables virtual meetings, with the ability to view visuals
Oracle products that help companies design green products and implement green processes:
Oracle’s Agile Product Lifecycle Management solutions enable companies to accelerate product innovation and maximize product profitability by managing product information, processes, and decisions throughout the product lifecycle and across the global product network. Companies using Agile Product Lifecycle Management are able to implement “cradle-to-cradle” product design processes that assume no waste at all.
• Oracle Asset Lifecycle Management consists of many solutions that are part of Oracle E-Business Suite Financial family of applications. These products give an organization the ability to monitor assets—from service and maintenance, to upgrade, transfer, or configuration—during their entire lifecycle. Companies can also reduce energy use and improve asset performance through reliability-centered maintenance.
• Oracle Lean Manufacturing allows companies to implement processes that eliminate the wastes that inflate costs, lead times, and inventory requirements. With Oracle Lean Manufacturing, companies can more easily adhere to environmental compliance initiatives and develop processes that promote environmental sustainability.
• Oracle Reverse Logistics manages the handling and disposition of returned goods, improving a company’s ability to put returned goods back on the market, while providing better data on why goods are returned. Companies implementing reverse logistics processes can dramatically reduce the waste going into landfills and increase opportunities to reintroduce returned products to market.
• Oracle Strategic Network Optimization helps companies optimize global supply chain operations and deploy improved risk mitigation strategies. With “what if” scenario capabilities, companies can model and predict impacts of implementing green networks.
• Oracle Transportation Management delivers transportation planning and execution capabilities to shippers and third-party logistics providers. It integrates and streamlines transportation planning, execution, freight payment, and business process automation on a single application across all modes of transportation, which allows companies to build more efficient and environmentally friendly distribution networks.
Oracle products that improve brand by making sustainability efforts transparent to the market:
• Oracle Business Intelligence (BI) is a portfolio of technology and applications that provides the industry's first integrated, end-to-end Enterprise Performance Management System, including category-leading performance management applications, BI applications, BI foundation and tools, and data warehousing. With Oracle Business Intelligence, companies can identify metrics and create dashboards to monitor environmental sustainability activities. With holistic visibility into sustainability efforts, companies can confidently promote socially and environmentally responsible activities.
• Oracle Governance, Risk and Compliance Manager (GRC Manager) delivers end-to-end support for GRC processes—including best-in-class infrastructure services for content and records management, identity management and access control, and change and configuration management—along with integrated intelligence for insight into the status of all GRC activities across the enterprise. With Oracle GRC Manager companies can monitor and report on compliance with global regulations, while safeguarding their brand and reputation through information reliability and data protection.