Note to Presenter: Present to customers and prospects to provide them with an overview of the CLARiiON CX4 series.
Let’s take a closer look at the innovation in the CLARiiON CX4 series. CLARiiON CX4 marked a significant milestone in delivering next-generation innovation for the mid-tier, and the innovation continues. Get the right data, to the right place, at the right time with Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) The CLARiiON CX4 architecture with 64-bit FLARE and Intel-based multi-core processors provide twice the performance and scale as previous generations. Advanced local and remote replication capabilities are available through RecoverPoint/SE integration. Drive Spin Down lowers power requirements by powering down inactive drives. CLARiiON is first in the mid-tier to support Flash drives for Tier 0 storage with 30 times more IOPS (I/Os per second). The combination of CLARiiON’s point-to-point hardware design, unique software features, and configuration best practices already delivers the highest reliability and availability of all midrange storage platforms—measuring up to Five 9s (99.999 percent) availability in customers’ application environments. UltraFlex technology delivers dual-protocol capabilities, hot pluggable I/O modules for online expansion, and the ability to support future technologies. CLARiiON Virtual Provisioning technology provides increased utilization and easy provisioning. New virtualization-aware Navisphere Manager, a feature available to all CLARiiON CX4 customers with FLARE 29, enables Storage and VMware Administrators to reduce infrastructure reporting time from hours to minutes. Let’s take a quick look at the architecture.
Here’s a quick comparison of how the CLARiiON CX4 architecture compares to other vendors. The combination of moving from a 32-bit to a 64-bit FLARE operating environment and the integration of multi-core Intel-based processors enables the CLARiiON CX4 series to deliver new levels of performance and scale. The CLARiiON CX4 series offers up to twice the performance as the previous generation CLARiiON CX3 UltraScale series and provides up to 2.5 times more processing power. The CLARiiON CX4 series also delivers twice the scalability with support for up to 960 drives—twice the memory and twice the LUNs than the previous generation. Another architectural change highlight is that the CPU and memory have been physically separated from the I/O complex, which makes servicing and upgrading the systems much easier, and also provides the basis for CLARiiON’s UltraFlex technology.
UltraFlex technology is a combination of the new modular connectivity design and unique FLARE software capabilities that delivers flexibility, easy expansion, and support for future technologies. All CLARiiON CX4 series systems offer the flexibility of dual-protocol support with both Fibre Channel and iSCSI as the base configuration. UltraFlex technology also enables online expansion through hot-pluggable I/O modules. This new CLARiiON CX4 capability gives you the ability to determine, throughout the life of the system, the right mix of protocols to support their connectivity requirements. And when more Fibre Channel or iSCSI is needed, it can be added easily and nondisruptively. CLARiiON UltraFlex technology has also been designed to accommodate future technologies as they become available. This “future-ready” feature allows you to invest in CLARiiON CX4 series today, knowing that you’ll be able to easily integrate new technologies, such as 8 Gb/s Fibre Channel and 10 Gb/s iSCSI, when you are ready.
Support for Fibre Channel and Ethernet in the same array is not a new EMC capability. But it is important to know when to choose Ethernet versus Fibre Channel. Users who have not implemented a Fibre Channel SAN will most likely be attracted to the Ethernet connectivity through iSCSI. Applications with moderate performance requirements will be a good fit for 1 Gb/s connectivity. Support for 10 Gigabit Ethernet will be a good fit for applications with higher performance requirements. And while 10 Gigabit Ethernet provides more bandwidth than 1 Gb/s, 10 Gb/s switches and cables are required to support this connection option. It should also be noted that CLARiiON now supports VLAN tagging as well as port-based VLANs. This allows multiple segregated virtual networks to coexist over a single high-bandwidth iSCSI connection. Additionally, with the latest enhancements to FLARE, the CLARiiON CX4 series can now support up to eight times the initiators to drive massive consolidation with a single CLARiiON CX4 array. Existing Fibre Channel users will most likely prefer to continue using it for their data center connectivity needs due to the existing investments they have made in Fibre Channel infrastructure and skill sets. If they have 10 Gb/s in place or are planning to move to it in the future, they may be interested in leveraging this technology as well. Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing between Fibre Channel or Ethernet, EMC provides the ability to support both within the same array. In addition, connectivity can be added, replaced, or upgraded nondisruptively, providing users a safe choice in storage technology capable of meeting any and all connectivity requirements.
Note to Presenter: View in Slide Show mode for animation. FAST is the next evolution of storage tiering. Up until today, storage tiering has been about getting the right data to the right place. For example, moving data from Fibre Channel storage to Flash for faster application performance, or moving from Fibre Channel to SATA to lower storage costs and reduce energy consumption.
Now with FAST, this becomes easy so you can get the right data to the right place…at the right time. Note to Presenter: Click now in Slide Show mode for animation. By simply pooling storage resources, defining the policy, and applying it to an application, FAST automatically and dynamically moves data across storage tiers so that it’s in the right place at the right time. CLARiiON’s advanced storage tiering capability is a huge value to EMC’s customers. CLARiiON CX4 enables you to provide your applications with the right levels of performance to fit your applications’ business requirements. This ability to prescriptively enable the right service levels to suit your unique application environments is a direct result of the wide variety of drives supported by CLARiiON CX4. From enterprise Flash drives to Fibre Channel to SATA and low power SATA, CLARiiON leads the industry in drive choices. It’s critical to note that drive support alone is only the beginning of the CLARiiON CX4’s value. With software like CLARiiON’s Virtual LUN technology and Navisphere Quality of Service Manager, applications can be transitioned seamlessly across storage tiers, allowing you to consistently provide the right service levels to your applications at the right time and at the lowest total cost of ownership. Service levels can also be locked in for a particular application at the LUN level.
The first implementation of FAST on CLARiiON CX4 includes the new FAST LUN Migrator utility and Navisphere Analyzer, which offer a very effective migration tool to help you go from Fibre Channel to tiered storage deployments. The FAST LUN Migrator utility works in conjunction with Navisphere Analyzer to provide analysis of your Fibre Channel drives. It targets “hot” LUNs that are candidates for movement to Flash drives for improved performance, or “cold” LUNs that are candidates to move to high-capacity, lower-cost SATA drives for reduced storage costs. Using CLI, a user can generate this Fibre Channel LUN report highlighting good candidates for Flash or SATA drives. Once recommendations are reviewed and approved by the user, the recommended LUNs are then migrated automatically in the background to the appropriate storage and location using Virtual LUN technology.
Note to Presenter: View in Slide Show mode for animation . As mentioned earlier, EMC is using the FAST vision to help differentiate and sell what is available today, and the next version of FAST, which is planned for the second half of 2010, is a key part of that vision. Leverage this future capability to help articulate the FAST vision and differentiate EMC today. Now let’s take a quick look at where the FAST technology is going. Future FAST capabilities for CLARiiON CX4 will provided automated tiering at the sub-LUN level. This approach will provide you with even greater total cost of ownership benefits by identifying and moving very small amounts of really active or “hot” data to Flash and the majority of data to lower-cost SATA drives. EMC is driving the technology to achieve maximum efficiency and flexibility in your storage environment to drive costs down while increasing service levels to key application environments. With this next level of granularity, most application data will be able to be moved from Fibre Channel to SATA and experience zero performance impact.
EMC is also the first and only vendor to introduce Tier 0 Flash drives to the midrange. This is a significant accomplishment, especially considering that EMC has the most intensive and lengthy qualification processes in the industry. CLARiiON’s Flash drives are the same Flash solid-state drive (SSD) technology that EMC delivered early in 2008 on Symmetrix DMX-4 series systems. These are not the same as flash drives in consumer electronics. They are enterprise-class Flash drives that provide ultra-fast read and write performance for I/O-intensive applications and provide the best response times. As a result, CLARiiON CX4 is able to offer Tier 0 storage for breakthrough performance, providing 30 times the IOPS of a 15K Fibre Channel drive and consistently delivering less than one millisecond response time. CLARiiON Flash drives are well suited for applications with demanding I/O requirements such as business intelligence and analysis, seismic analysis and survey, and database log tables. Flash drives are more energy efficient, using 38 percent less energy per terabyte and 98 percent less energy per I/O. CLARiiON Flash drives also deliver better reliability than traditional disk drives since they have no moving parts and provide faster rebuilds.
Then next innovation is software based. CLARiiON Virtual Provisioning allows users to present an application with more capacity than is physically allocated to it in the storage array. CLARiiON Virtual Provisioning simplifies and accelerates processes and delivers “just-in-time” capacity allocation and improved utilization. Virtual pools are easy to create whereby you simply assign a name, select the drive types and capacity amounts, and choose the appropriate RAID level for protection. To quickly allocate capacity, the user simply selects a pool, chooses the host, and specifies the virtual capacity amount to allocate. Once capacity is allocated, CLARiiON Virtual Provisioning has the capabilities to monitor the usage versus pre-set thresholds and automated alerts so that pools can be expanded nondisruptively. Note to Presenter: CLARiiON Virtual Provisioning supports advanced software capabilities, including Virtual LUN, Navisphere Quality of Service Manager, Navisphere Analyzer, and SnapView.
The combination of the proven CLARiiON technology and the new capabilities of the CLARiiON CX4 series provides unique energy-efficiency advantages. This is critical for many companies, given the increased demand on power and cooling from rapid growth or the deployment of new technologies like blade servers. Some of the energy-efficient capabilities of the CLARiiON CX4 series are: Flash drive technology, which represents 98 percent better energy efficiency per I/O when compared to Fibre Channel disks Low power SATA II drives, which consume 32 percent less energy than traditional SATA drives Policy-based drive Spin Down, which reduces energy for inactive drives while maintaining online access Adaptive Cooling feature, which dynamically adjusts cooling based on the system’s activity level
CLARiiON CX4’s high-density storage offering is ideal for companies who want to optimize the way they scale their CX4 system to meet high-capacity demands. Note to Presenter: This configuration is orderable as either a new CX4-480 or CX4-960 and is available as an expansion rack for customers looking to deliver high-density SATA or Flash storage to multiple CX4 systems. Customers can add a Celerra gateway system to leverage the new high-density configurations for file system deployments.
One common use case where Spin Down is applicable is in test and development environments. In fact, 80 percent of today’s VMware users have it deployed in their test and development environments. Consider an example where a Developer spends Friday performing tests using a CLARiiON for storage. The array is fully powered up and all drives are active as tests are run. At the end of the day, the Developer wants to run additional test runs before leaving. The test runs take three hours to complete, but there are another 59 hours until Monday morning when the Developer will return. With Spin Down, 30 minutes after the tests complete, the drives will power down, conserving power during the time when there is no activity on the array, saving 82 percent of the associated energy costs. It’s important to note that this test case is applicable to VMware environments that deploy raw device mapping (RDM) but not VMware vStorage VMFS (Virtual Machine File System).
The last innovation area is one product for local and remote data protection. This capability is delivered through RecoverPoint/SE integration with the CLARiiON CX4 series. RecoverPoint/SE offers a single product for local data protection and disaster recovery for CLARiiON environments. Recent RecoverPoint/SE advancements include support for point-in-time recovery and local and/or remote recovery of the same volume. Additionally, the CLARiiON splitter for RecoverPoint built into FLARE allows for simple deployment with the CLARiiON CX4 series, provides protection for Fibre Channel and/or iSCSI environments, and optimizes bandwidth. RecoverPoint/SE supports all major applications and operating systems and is integrated with VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager.
CLARiiON CX4 is optimized for VMware environments. CLARiiON’s full integration with VMware extends the value of virtualized server environments through… Shared storage : CLARiiON CX4 delivers the highest levels of reliability and availability required for VMware environments. With the expandable connectivity options of UltraFlex technology, Flash drive support, and twice the performance and scale, you can take advantage of CLARiiON CX4 while leveraging VMware VMotion capabilities. Backup and recovery : CLARiiON CX4 and VMware Consolidated Backup make backup to disk more affordable and energy efficient using drive Spin Down with low-power SATA II drives in VMware environments. Replication : You can leverage VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager using RecoverPoint or MirrorView/S software to simplify and automate disaster recovery setup, failover, failback, and testing—and ensure the proper execution and management of recovery plans. Resource management : CLARiiON-integrated Navisphere Quality of Service Manager with VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler provides end-to-end application service-level management from the virtual server to CLARiiON storage. Now let’s look at a few examples.
Today, one of the major challenges facing users in virtual environments is a management complexity gap. Storage Administrators have access to detailed information on the array, but lack visibility into how the virtual server is configured and which virtual machines are consuming what for storage resources. VMware Administrators, on the other hand, can see the details of the virtual server environment and virtual machines, but lack visibility into the array. What’s needed here are more tools that automate management, discovery, and reporting and make it easy for both Administrators to manage and report on who is using what, when, and where.
Note to Presenter: View in Slide Show mode for animation . To help address this, EMC offers virtualization-aware Navisphere Manager for CLARiiON CX4 systems. Navisphere’s “virtualization-aware” capabilities deliver simple automation to enable end-to-end virtual-to-physical mapping of physical storage and servers, as well as ESX servers and the virtual machines that reside on them. Through advanced Navisphere search capabilities, users can quickly identify a particular virtual machine and ensure that the appropriate amount of storage is allocated to it. In addition, a future version of this Navisphere functionality will deliver Microsoft Hyper-V management integration. The ability to automate management and discovery of virtual environments from the array is a unique capability for CLARiiON and demonstrates EMC’s commitment to helping users maximize the value of their storage infrastructure.
Let’s look at the impact of virtualization-aware Navisphere Manager. Given the changing nature of a virtual environment, discovery and reporting can be a painstaking task. A medium-sized environment with 100 virtual machines on 10 ESX servers would require a user to step through 200 screens and record information manually to build a spreadsheet for reporting. This task takes hours to complete, and any change requires that the same steps be repeated to update the data. Note to Presenter: Click now in Slide Show mode for animation. With virtualization-aware Navisphere, the discovery and reporting process is automated, which allows users to export a complete report of their VMware environment with only two screens and no manual transfer of data. This process only take seconds, resulting in more productivity and significant time savings for the end user.
In addition to virtualization-aware storage management tools such as Navisphere and Ionix ControlCenter, there are “plug-in” capabilities to make VMware vCenter Server EMC storage aware. In mid-2009, EMC delivered the plug-in for VMware vCenter Server to provide integrated views of storage use, configurations, and checks for best practice settings for all EMC storage environment. Through vCenter Server, these Administrators are now be able to identify a specific LUN that is tied to a specific virtual machine. Be aware that this is a capability that most major storage vendors support today. Again, what is unique is that EMC provides users with a range of options to simplify management of a virtual environment, and that the capabilities being delivered through Navisphere are unique to EMC. Together with the EMC Storage Viewer plug-in, this represents the first time that VMware and Storage Administrators are able to have complementary views into the storage and virtual server environments. Note to Presenter: White paper on slide can be found here on Powerlink: http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/h6155-using-emc-storage-view-for-virtual-infrastructure-wp.pdf
EMC can help you realize these benefits with EMC Proven Solutions, including best practices, Reference Architectures, and knowledge transfer. For example, to consolidate Tier 1 applications, EMC has developed a blueprint with EMC CLARiiON CX4 and its virtualization-aware management capabilities, VMware vSphere 4, and PowerPath/VE. This Proven Solution illustrates the benefits of CLARiiON in a virtual environment to deliver: Optimized deployment of mixed workload Tier 1 applications Predictable delivery on service level agreements Reductions in physical servers by up to 80 percent Note to Presenter : The “Blueprint: EMC Virtual Infrastructure for Microsoft and Oracle Applications—Enabled by EMC CLARiiON and VMware vSphere 4” is available on Powerlink at this URL: http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Basics/White_Paper/h6456-virtual-infrastructure-ms-oracle-apps-clariion-vmware-vsphere-blueprint.pdf
Note to Presenter: View in Slide Show mode for animation. Based on a high-performance, high-availability design, the CLARiiON CX4 architecture enables the systems to address a broad range of application environments. All CLARiiON CX4 series systems run the FLARE storage operating environment, and all are built on the same unique modular architecture, which enables you to scale performance and functionality as you upgrade from one model to another by simply swapping storage processor enclosures. The CLARiiON CX4 series thereby offers you a consistent growth path from the entry-level CX4-120 up to the most scalable CX4-960. With CLARiiON CX4, EMC has also extended its hallmark investment protection and supports data-in-place upgrades from previous generations of CLARiiON CX series arrays, including all the drive trays and disk drives supported by those arrays.
As you can tell, CLARiiON CX4 can add a lot of value for your business, both through its innovation and the impacts it can have on your everyday requirements. With CLARiiON CX4, you can pay for only the storage you need to support your current requirements. Add the industry’s most advanced features, and you gain the flexibility to adapt easily to your single most time-consuming concern—your changing business requirements.
1. EMC CLARiiON CX4 Series The Industry Leading Mid-tier Storage Platform
2. <ul><li>Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) </li></ul><ul><li>64-bit FLARE and multi-core CPUs </li></ul><ul><li>Advanced local and remote data protection </li></ul><ul><li>Drive Spin Down </li></ul><ul><li>Enterprise Flash drives </li></ul><ul><li>Five 9s (99.999%) availability </li></ul><ul><li>UltraFlex technology </li></ul><ul><li>Virtual Provisioning </li></ul><ul><li>Virtualization-aware Navisphere Manager </li></ul>CLARiiON CX4: Next-Generation Innovation for the Mid-tier CLARiiON CX4 Next-generation architecture
3. CLARiiON CX4 Architecture Innovation: 64-bit FLARE and Multi-core CPUs 64-bit FLARE and multi-core processors deliver up to twice the performance and scale Other Vendors <ul><ul><li>Architecture limits scale and performance </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Multiple arrays required </li></ul></ul>Single-core processors CPU Memory 32-bit OS CPU CLARiiON CX4 Multi-core processors Memory 64-bit FLARE OS 2x more cache memory 2x more disk drives 2.5x more processor power CPU CPU CPU CPU CPU CPU CPU CPU
4. CLARiiON CX4 Architecture Innovation: UltraFlex Technology The leading mid-tier array with hot pluggable I/O modules <ul><li>Not upgradeable </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Cannot mix Fibre Channel and iSCSI in the same storage array </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Connections can not be expanded, upgraded, or replaced </li></ul></ul>Fiber Channel or iSCSI Other Vendors Single-core processors CPU 32-bit OS CPU Fibre Channel iSCSI The Next Technology CLARiiON CX4 Multi-core processors 64-bit FLARE OS Fibre Channel and iSCSI connectivity Add, change, and expand I/O modules online Support future connectivity technologies 8 Gb/s Fibre Channel and 10 Gb/s iSCSI available today CPU CPU CPU CPU CPU CPU CPU CPU
5. CLARiiON CX4 UltraFlex I/O Modules <ul><li>8 Gb/s Fibre Channel </li></ul><ul><ul><li>High-performance requirements to support I/O-intensive workloads </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Need for dedicated bandwidth to maintain predictable performance </li></ul></ul><ul><li>10 Gigabit Ethernet </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Built to support higher IP performance </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Leverage existing IP skills and infrastructure </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Cost-effective connectivity to consolidate storage </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Up to an eight-times increase in initiators supported in a single platform with FLARE 29 </li></ul>CLARiiON’s UltraFlex capabilities allow users to support both connectivity options in a single platform VMware vSphere 4 ~200,000 IOPS per VMware ESX server drives need for more storage network bandwidth VMware VMware VMware VMware VMware 8 Gb/s Fibre Channel and 10 Gigabit Ethernet
6. Storage Tiering Today… Faster application performance Lower storage costs and less energy Get the right data to the right place SATA targets? Flash drive targets? Device Activity Report Flash SATA Fibre Channel
7. FAST Makes it Easy <ul><li>Define period </li></ul><ul><li>Run analysis </li></ul><ul><li>Assess and migrate </li></ul>New FAST … at the right time Get the right data to the right place Flash SATA Fibre Channel
8. CLARiiON CX4 FAST: How Does It Work? <ul><li>Host-based CLI utility leverages Navisphere Analyzer reports to simplify LUN migration </li></ul><ul><li>Identifies candidate LUNs on Fibre Channel drives for relocation </li></ul><ul><li>Simplifies the migration of user-approved LUNs on Fibre Channel drives to Flash or SATA drives </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Moves “hot” LUNs to Flash drives </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Moves “cold” LUNs to SATA drives </li></ul></ul>Easily align LUNs to the right storage for improved performance and cost savings Flash Fibre Channel SATA
9. What’s Next: Sub-LUN Optimization Device Pool Allows most inactive data to move to SATA drives with no performance impact Storage Pool Target 2H 2010 Flash drives: optimize performance SATA: optimize cost and capacity ~5% is active ~95% is inactive
10. CLARiiON CX4 Architecture Innovation: Advanced Storage Tiering <ul><li>Faster performance </li></ul><ul><ul><li>30 times IOPS per drive versus hard disk drive, with less than one millisecond response time </li></ul></ul><ul><li>More energy efficient </li></ul><ul><ul><li>38 percent less energy per terabyte and 98 percent less energy per I/O </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Better reliability </li></ul><ul><ul><li>No moving parts, faster RAID rebuilds </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Field-proven application impact </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Boost Oracle, SQL, and Exchange performance </li></ul></ul>Enterprise Flash drives for performance-driven applications Flash Workload—IOPS Response Time (milliseconds) 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 0 500 1,000 1,500 2,000 2,500 16 15K Fibre Channel drives 1 Flash drive
11. CLARiiON CX4 Architecture Innovation: Virtual Provisioning <ul><li>Virtual Provisioning to optimize </li></ul><ul><li>capacity and provide efficient tiering </li></ul><ul><li>Includes safety features to monitor growth and automate management </li></ul><ul><li>Fully functional; supports advanced management and replication capabilities </li></ul>Logical Application User View Common Storage Pool User A 10 GB User B 10 GB User C 10 GB Physical Allocation 3 GB 3 GB 4 GB
12. CLARiiON CX4 Architecture Innovation: Advanced Energy Efficiency <ul><li>Policy-based drive Spin Down </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Reduce energy for inactive drives </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Low-power SATA drives </li></ul><ul><ul><li>32 percent less energy versus SATA drives </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Adaptive Cooling </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Dynamic cooling based on activity </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Enterprise Flash drive technology </li></ul><ul><ul><li>98 percent better energy efficiency per I/O </li></ul></ul>CLARiiON’s energy-efficient technologies
13. CLARiiON CX4 Architecture Innovation: Optimized for Ultra-High Capacity <ul><li>High-density configurations deliver twice the capacity in half the foot print </li></ul><ul><li>High-density configurations deliver twice the capacity in half the foot print </li></ul><ul><li>New packaging supports up to 390 drives in a single rack </li></ul><ul><li>Supports all 1 TB and 2 TB SATA drives as well as Flash drives </li></ul><ul><li>Available for all CLARiiON CX4-480 and CX4-960, Celerra NS-G2 and NS-G8 models </li></ul><ul><li>Available as an expansion rack for existing arrays* </li></ul>Standard CX4-960 with 1 TB SATA Dense CX4-960 with 2 TB SATA Six frames = 945 TB Three frames = 1,890 TB High Density * No change to CLARiiON CX4-480/CX4-960 maximum drive counts New Q4 2009
14. Spin Down Use Case <ul><li>Ideal for test and development environments where systems are inactive during non-business hours </li></ul><ul><li>Common Spin Down scenario: VMware raw device mapping test and development </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Developer starts a three-hour test run and leaves for the weekend </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Without Spin Down, system remains powered on after test run completes </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>With Spin Down, drives are powered off 30 minutes after test run completes </li></ul></ul>Friday 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.: Normal system activity Friday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.: System remains active for test run Friday 8:00 p.m. to Monday 7:00 a.m.: Drives spin down Reduced power for the test RAID group by 82 percent 72 hours Active 18 percent of the time Inactive 82 percent of the time 13 Hours 59 Hours
15. CLARiiON CX4 Architecture Innovation: Local and Remote Data Protection <ul><li>Integrated support for local and remote data protection </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Any-point-in-time recovery </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Improve recovery point objectives (RPOs) </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Automate VMware protection </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Integrated support for VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Optimize replication bandwidth </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Up to 10 times more efficient </li></ul></ul></ul>CLARiiON integration with RecoverPoint data protection Local protection Remote protection Local and remote data protection
16. CLARiiON CX4 Series: Optimized for Virtualized Environments <ul><li>Shared storage </li></ul><ul><ul><li>The right connectivity, availability, and performance at the right cost </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>VMware VMotion • UltraFlex technology • Flash drives • Five 9s • PowerPath/VE </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><li>Management </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Efficiently meet service levels with end-to-end quality of service </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Virtualization-aware Navisphere • VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler • Navisphere Quality of Service Manager • Virtual Provisioning • Virtual LUN </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><li>Backup and recovery </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Making backup-to-disk more affordable and energy efficient </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>VMware Consolidated Backup • low power SATA • drive Spin Down • Replication Manager with SnapView/RecoverPoint with continuous data protection (CDP) </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><li>Replication </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Disaster recovery that is rapid, reliable, manageable, and automated </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager • RecoverPoint • MirrorView </li></ul></ul></ul>All backed by EMC-qualified Reference Architectures, best practices, and supporting technical validation documents 2007 IDC Server Virtualization Survey 43% 12% 8% 7% 4% 26% EMC HP IBM Dell Sun Other Chart shows percentage of 311 survey respondents identifying a primary brand of network storage attached to virtual servers. Source: 2007 Server Virtualization Multi-client Study, IDC, December 2007
17. VMware and Storage Management Gap Need automated management tools to help easily manage and report on who is using what, when, and where “ This is a virtual machine, but I don’t know any storage detail other than at the LUN level.” “ This is a LUN, but I don’t know any server detail other than at the ESX server level.” Storage Administrator VMware Administrator VMware
18. Virtualization-Aware Navisphere for CLARiiON CX4 with FLARE 29 <ul><li>Automatic discovery of virtual machines and ESX servers </li></ul><ul><li>End-to-end virtual-to-physical mapping </li></ul><ul><li>Taskbar automation and reporting </li></ul><ul><li>New advanced search for instant virtual machine discovery </li></ul>Automation reduces infrastructure reporting from hours to minutes … Managing virtual machine environments with Navisphere NAVISPHERE End-to-End Management CLARiiON CX4 Unique VMware VMware VMware
19. CLARiiON CX4 Use Case: Virtualization-Aware Navisphere Manager <ul><li>View 200 screens for 10 ESX servers </li></ul><ul><li>Record information on each screen manually to a spreadsheet </li></ul><ul><li>Requires hours to record all data </li></ul><ul><li>Process must be repeated to reflect any change to the environment </li></ul><ul><li>Example environment: </li></ul><ul><li>Medium VMware environment with 10 ESX servers </li></ul><ul><li>Total of 100 virtual machines across the 10 ESX servers </li></ul>Hours to seconds = huge productivity gain Before Virtual infrastructure discovery and reporting <ul><li>Two screens to create a report of the latest virtual-to-physical mapping! </li></ul><ul><li>Export automatically to .xls or .csv format </li></ul><ul><li>Takes only seconds to complete </li></ul>After
20. VMware-Based Storage Management with EMC Storage Viewer Plug-in for vCenter Server <ul><li>Provides integrated views of storage use, configurations, and checks for best practice settings </li></ul>Free download for EMC customers
21. CLARiiON with VMware EMC Virtual Infrastructure for Microsoft and Oracle <ul><li>Mixed workload Tier 1 applications </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Single infrastructure saves time and resources </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Consistent provisioning, backup, disaster recovery </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Predictable service levels </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Stress testing ensures performance </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>PowerPath/VE workload balancing </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Simplified management </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Reduce physical servers by 80% </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Virtualization-aware Navisphere Manager reduces mapping and reporting from 200 screens to two </li></ul></ul>Exchange SQL Server VMware vSphere PowerPath/VE 4,000 Exchange users 300 GB SQL database 500 GB Oracle database EMC CLARiiON CX4
22. The Industry’s Best Investment Protection <ul><li>Supports data-in-place upgrades between CLARiiON CX series </li></ul><ul><ul><li>CLARiiON CX300, CX500, CX700 to CLARiiON CX3 UltraScale and CX4 series </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>CLARiiON CX4 series systems to larger CLARiiON CX4 systems </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Preserves investment in disk drives and DAEs </li></ul><ul><li>Reduces planned downtime and mitigates migration risks </li></ul>CLARiiON hardware platform upgrade path Investment protection for three generations of CLARiiON CX customers CX4-480 CX4-960 CX4-240 CX4-120 CX4 CX3-20 CX3-80 CX3-40 CX3-10 CX3 CX500 CX700 CX300 CX
23. Why CLARiiON CX4 Series? <ul><li>Only pay for what you need </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Consolidate more data while purchasing less storage </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Logically provision what you need today without physically over committing </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Automatically power down inactive drives </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Adapt to new requirements </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Keep your data-in-place and upgrade your storage </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Migrate data online without disrupting applications </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Easily add and upgrade new connectivity options without disrupting applications </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Do it with ease </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Map physical storage in a virtual environment </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Deliver automated service level visibility </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Quickly locate specific storage, server and virtual machine objects </li></ul></ul>Only pay for what you need when you need it and do it all with ease
24. More Information Visit http://www.snsltd.co.uk for more information