August 19th, 2009 Southern Tier Superintendents Training
These notes have active web links to the resources referenced.
• Using Brain Research: Why digital Instructional Content works
• Response to Intervention (RIT)
Curriculum Advantage Introduces RtI Bundles
The RtI Practice and Review bundles deliver intensive interventions in math, reading,
spelling and vocabulary to Tier II and Tier III students.
• Internet Safety & 21st Century Teaching Skills
South Dakota Selects Learning.com
The company's 21st Century Skills Assessment will test all of the state's eighth grade
students to understand how well students grasp critical 21st century skills.
• Embedding technology in pedagogy
Vernier Announces Fall Workshop Dates
The free hands-on workshops in more than 40 cities show educators how to integrate
data collection into the curriculum using the LabQuest handheld.
• Differentiated & Adaptive Instruction with computers
Bookshare Partners With Code Factory and Shinano Kenshi
The agreements will help to ensure that students with print disabilities have accessible
devices that allow them to easily read texts from the Bookshare collection.
• Managing Student Response Systems & classroom technology
• Constructively leveraging Social Networks to enrich classrooms
Blackboard Introduces New Learning Platform
The new system, 9.0 of Blackboard Learn, includes social networking tools and Web 2.0
• Moving best practices online (ICSD’s CDB)
• Adopting Board approved technology curriculum
• Automating Student Evaluations and data management (ICSD’s: LACS)
• Implementing formative assessments
MapleSoft Releases Maple T.A. v.5
The latest version of Maplesoft’s testing and assessment tool makes online assessment
technology easier and more cost-effective.
1 of 7
Discovery Education's New Progress Zone Connects Diagnostic Formative
Assessments with Digital Media
Progress Zone is a user-friendly service that allows educators to quickly create, share
and administer custom academic probes using a bank of more than 35,000 unique
• 3D for Teach – Using data driven dialogues to impact instruction (making
informed decisions and setting S.M.A.R.T. goals).
• Implementing Individualized Instruction Plans for every student
Boston Public Schools Selects Pearson For K5 Reading
After a thorough review process, the district selected the research-based Scott Foresman
Reading Street from Pearson.
• Every Day Math
Missouri School District Implements Carnegie Learning
The Hazelwood School District has purchased Carnegie Learning Bridge to Algebra
textbooks and software for 900 ninth grade students in the district’s three high schools.
Carnegie Learning is a leading publisher of core, full-year mathematics programs as well
as supplemental and math interventions for middle school, high school, and
• Geometer’s Sketchpad
• Distance Learning for OSS Instruction & Credit Recovery
House Backs K12 Distance Learning (billingsgazette.com/Associated Press)
State lawmakers have endorsed a measure to create a new distance learning program
that would give students in every school district virtual access to both basic and
advanced classes. More...
• Increasingly rigorous technical literacy standards for students & staff
• Supporting 21st Century skills: leadership, creativity, communication, productivity
• Collaborative Learning & Social Networking (Facebook etc.)
Avid Releases Sibelius 6
Students and educators can take advantage of the new version of the music notation
program's workflow improvements that facilitate greater collaboration.
Elluminate Launches Social Learning Network
LearnCentral offers free social and professional networking, real-time online meetings,
live online events, peer-rated resources and more.
Partnership for 21st Century Skills to Release The 21st Century Skills and Science
and Geography Maps
The maps demonstrate how the integration of 21st century skills into science and
2 of 7
geography classes support teaching and provide educators with models of how 21st
century skills can be infused into instruction.
• Post-graduate planning for all
Naviance Releases Succeed
The suite of products and services for schools and districts promotes college and
Sourcebooks Partners with Naviance
This new partnership will allow the delivery of content from 300+ college profiles in the
Fiske Guide to Colleges to all Naviance Network member schools.
• “Smart” classrooms (aka Smartrooms)
SMART Technologies Announces Notebook Express And Exchange
Together, they consolidate all of SMART’s education content, community forums and
support networks in one place, easily accessible on the Web.
• The Digitization of Curriculum
Sebit Launches New Adaptive Curriculum Titles
Adaptive Curriculum High School Math and Adaptive Curriculum High School Science
use realistic images and dynamic interactions to motivate and engage students.
Cutting-Edge Rosetta Stone Classroom Solution Expands to Levels 4 and 5
These new levels, initially available in Spanish and English, will include extended, more
complex conversations and grammar, expanded vocabulary, and additional opportunities
for speaking that prepare the learner for everyday interactions in their language of study.
• Teachers as Students
PBS TeacherLine Reaches Record Term Enrollment
The online professional development service for preK-12 educators has garnered the
highest number of national enrollments for its Summer 2009 since its courses were
released nationwide five years ago.
• 1:1 Computing with 7x24 access
Acer Offers Education Technology Initiative
The program lets educators test Acer products, and gives them a chance to win a new
computer lab outfitted with Acer and Intel technology, or an entire classroom of 30
Lamar CISD Implements School Web Lockers
The district used E-rate funding to purchase the solution, which combines web-based
storage, backup, collaboration and file sharing in a single system specifically for K12
Open Text Releases FirstClass Mobile
The free App Store application offers iPhone and iPod touch customers mobile access to
FirstClass content and collaboration features.
Maine Expands Student Laptop Program to High Schools
The Maine Department of Education has placed an order for more than 64,000
3 of 7
MacBooks for students and faculty in grades 7 through 12, and will place an additional
order for up to 7,000 more laptops in the coming weeks.
• STEM education for middle and elementary schools
Lego Launches New Elementary Robotics Line
Designed for ages 7-11+, WeDo robotics engages children in hands-on technology
experiments that focus on science, mathematics, social studies, and language concepts.
Learning.com Debuts New STEM Solution
The integrated solution makes it easy for districts to add a STEM focus to their
elementary curriculum, and supports teachers with models of instruction for critical math,
science and technology skills.
The U.S. Department of Energy, the X PRIZE Foundation and Discovery Education
Create Web Site For STEM Education
Featuring targeted curriculum and lesson plans for all grade levels,
www.FuelOurFutureNow.com is an empowering resource that engages students in the
science of alternative fuels and energy-efficient engineering.
The National Academy of Sciences Launches ASK IT! Online Forum
ASK IT! is the newest interactive feature on the iWASwondering.org website, a project
developed to encourage young people, especially girls, to pursue an interest in science.
Management & Operations
• Going Green! – Reuse, Reduce, Recycle
Tangent Ships All-In-One “Green PC" for Education
Designed with a low-voltage CPU for especially low-power consumption, the new VITA
LT offers industry-leading power efficiency at 24 watts and 72% less energy usage than
standard Energy Star 4.0 compliant PCs.
Faronics Upgrades Power Save
Version 3.3 uses intelligence to determine when computers are truly not in use, delivers
easy to use central management and provides proof of its value though energy saving
• Reducing desktop costs with recertified, brand name computers
• Reducing desktop costs with Netbooks (ACER, DELL)
• Automating Teacher Evaluations and data management (ICSD’s APPR)
• Voice over IP (hosted vs. premise)
• What is Virtualization
NComputing Launches New X350 Virtualization Kit
Built to accommodate popular slim-line PCs, the $249 X350 kit turns one PC into four
virtual desktops, each delivering rich multimedia performance and full screen video.
• 3D for Suits – Using data driven dialogues to impact teachers (confronting
mediocre teaching and setting S.M.A.R.T. goals).
States Failing to Develop Systems to Keep Good Teachers, Fire Bad (azstarnet.com)
Only Iowa and New Mexico require any evidence that public school teachers are effective
before granting them tenure.
4 of 7
Innovative Architects Releases Performance Manager for Educators
The IAPME provides schools a framework for organizing and managing teachers into
working groups and evaluating progress on a customizable rubric of educational best
State Seeks to Gauge Whether Students or Teachers are Lagging (The Boston Globe)
Massachusetts will use new measurement to track individual student performance over
• Moving mission critical applications to the Cloud: SMS, Accounting, Content.
40 Texas District Implement SchoolReach This Year
The parent notification system allows school administrators to deliver personalized
phone, email or text messages to parents, teachers, staff or select groups within the
school and general community.
• Creating a private Cloud – deliver all applications through a Browser!!
Stoneware Partners With Dell
Through the agreement with Stoneware, Dell can provide education customers with
software that delivers access to applications and services in a private cloud computing
• Demand for Internet bandwidth is growing faster than health care costs!
PASCO Announces Web-Based Virtual Environment for Teaching and Learning
Featuring Activity Objects from Adaptive Curriculum, the PASCO Online Academy for
Science and Math delivers hundreds of high-quality, standards-based activities via the
• Internet Caching for accelerating internal content delivery
• Bridging Data Silos: SIF and beyond
• Storage Area Networks (SANs)
• Layered Disk-based backup and off-site replication
• Customized Dashboards based on Job Function
• Desktop Virtualization (thin provisioning)
• Identity Management & Protection
Public Policy & Communication
• Acceptable Use & Internet Safety Policy & Procedures
• Data Breach Notification Policy & Procedures
• Safe School Policy & Plans
• Disaster Recover and School Continuity Policy & Procedures
• Websites and Public Relations: capturing and keeping an audience
• Distributing Content Creation and improving information appeal with Web
Content Management Systems
• Layer-7 Firewalls for accelerating external content delivery
• Mass Notification Systems: (hosted vs. premise)
5 of 7
CDW-G Launches Mass Notification Toolkit
This new Web site provides practical guidance on implementation, marketing and sign-up
challenges associated with the deployment of mass notification systems.
Texas School District Uses SchoolMessenger System to Arrange Calls from Santa
The Alvarado Independent School District is charging families $1 to receive calls via its
notification system. All proceeds will be donated to the I Believe Fund.
• Staff Email Use Policy
• Preparing for School Wellness Policy data management
Implementing a school wellness policy: One district’s experience
Administrators in Spring ISD in Texas take a formal approach to assessing the district's
• Preparing for Universal Pre-K Screening data management
Curriculum Associates Announces BRIGANCE Early Childhood System
The program helps in identifying preschool children's developmental strengths and
• Preparing for Pay for Performance Teacher compensation data management
Merit Pay for Teachers Studied (2theadvocate.com)
Merit pay for public school teachers is under review in Louisiana again, this time because
the state is one of six picked to tackle the controversial issue.
NYC: Teacher Quality Pays (New York Post)
Bloomberg is rewarding Class A instructors with more money. More...
Technologies that galvanize the instructional process and promote authentic learning
activities: active highly portable large storage devices and datacasting.
Technologies that improve assessment and evaluation at all levels of the organization:
electronic response systems, intelligent essay graders, intelligent pattern analysis and
performance projections, and data warehouses.
Technologies that address diverse learning styles and student needs. This section includes
a review of the principles of Universal Design as well as sound-field amplification, and
multisensory, customized learning tools.
Technologies that build community in the school environment: programmable phone systems,
student information systems, learning management systems, and blogs.
6 of 7
Technologies that improve the efficiency of school administration: Radio Frequency
Identification Data (RFID).
7 of 7