• The target audience that I will be aiming my horror movie trailer specifically at will be mainly targeted towards the white male teenage age range of 16-25 as these have lower budgets as a movie but a strong, loyal and desirable fan base through this age range.• I have also strongly researched into gender types within the horror movie industry and the male gender seems to be the most popular demographic of viewing these horror films. • However the female gender must not be forgotten as within recent years this gender has been rising within the horror industry and still a strong demographic. • Furthermore I wanted to research into why my target audience watched horror films and discovered that they enjoy the horror film genre due to its excitement and entertainment through scare techniques and the thrill factor and adrenaline that it created when watching such films.
• Certificate of the film will be 15 to allow the whole target audience to view the movie and italso allows to focus more upon my supernaturaltheme of the movie rather than just creating anaction packed gore film because throughout myresearch I learnt that the horror target audience has now have moved from gore interest to supernatural and psychological horror thriller which I also discovered through my audience questionnaire and the feedback that I received.
• Through my research of a horror audience and the age of my target audience itself I learnt many important factors around the target audience. This target audience is in the pinnacle of the social networking hype and therefore regularly uses Facebook and Twitter to express their ideas and thoughts, as well as a way to discuss horror movies and view horror trailers.
As well as this many Film Magazinessuch as Fangoria and Scream Horror Magazine are viewed consistentlyby the horror audience and seem tobe two of the top horror magazines for this target audience so I have researched into the style and tone of these magazines and what interest the audience into reading certain information such as gore,supernatural or what specific horror villains they find the scariest through the forums and magazines own articles.
• I also have found that a wide use of horror fans use the computer regularly to view horror trailers such as upon apple trailers or websites such as ‘horror-movies.ca’ that specifically target the horror audience genre.• As well as this playing games consoles such as Xbox or PlayStation are also a common interest of my target audience particularly towards the more horror genre game products such as Silent Hill and Eternal Darkness, which also convey the supernatural horror genre through there style of gameplay and the mis-en-scene that is used within the games itself which I can use and gain ideas to implement within my film trailer.
• I have also found a strong correlation between the horror genre target audience and metal music genre which I therefore researched further into to such as the electric guitar, concerts they attend and more to be able to learn more about my audience and there other interest outside the horror genre.• The style and influence of metal music can also be seen within the horror genre through dark black styles, trench coats and piercings as well as the main target audience being the male gender and a target age of around 16-25 as well so the two industry correlate strongly together.
• I also researched into a horror film, Paranormal Activity that is similar towards the trailer I am producing and gained valuable research, which I could use and implement within my trailer. The film itself is a supernatural horror film, producing the same style of film as I intend and created a huge release through its audience profile and perfectly targeted audience. • • Name: Paranormal Activity • Genre: Supernatural Horror • • Target Audience: The target audience for this film was very similar to my own target audience with the ages of 16-25 •• From my research into this film there is a particularly specific target audience from the age range of 16-25 and the mainly male gender orientated style of the film such as male gaze incorporations and certain character features that the audience identifies with such as families or relationships between main characters that is a common profile for the audience.