• Between 1580-1620 the English got the name to the entire mid-Atlantic coast between Florida and Acadia.• There was a search for gold mines on the land and for Spanish treasure ships by sea.
• In 1616 they found what tobacco• The expansion lifted to a cruel confrontation between the English colonists and the Algonquain Indians who defended their lands and culture against the bad people.
• The Colonists accepted such leaders so long as it came along.• In 1676 Virginia became rebellious when the servants started ruling planters.• In both Chesapeake colonies had to share power with other colonists.• They lived in a political hierarchy with fourtiers.
• The social economic pressures within England that started the Chesapeake colonies also developed the colonization of a region to the north named New England.• They preserved their freedom because they could pay their own way across the Atlantic.• Labor was cheap, but land was expensive.
• The southern New England Indians possessed cultural, but lacked political unity.• The natives highly supplied most of their diet but all Indians were nothing more than hunters.• During the 1620’s and 1630’s the puritan settlers did little to the Indians, putting there eye on things instead on expanding their towns and farms.
• In 1670 three ships from the Barbados had 200 colonists towards the Ashley River.• They found Charles Town there.• Rice was very important and even guns.• During the 1720’s Carolina and British held on the southern frontier by founding a new colony south and west of the Savannah River.
• They grew in great power.• There was the Dutch colony on the Hudson River.• They were very wealthy.• During the early 17th century the Netherlands emerged as an economic and military. Small population of about 1.5 million.• The Dutch were very smart and ambitious.