1. 365 Days of SOcialMEdiaTrials, Tribulations & Successes wrangling a Universitys Online Voice
2. Social Media Beginnings
3. Social Media Beginnings• 2010 - KSU created a Facebook Page and a Twitter Account• Primarily used for KSU News Releases• Began working with other departments and units to help promote their events and news• End of 2011 - 4500 Facebook Likes; 1800 Twitter Followers, no official LinkedIn, Google+ or YouTube presence
4. Social Media Specialist Hired
5. Self Regarding Nonsense
6. Initial Strategies• Jumpstart content• Boost/engage audiences on Facebook & Twitter• Establish footprint on LinkedIn companies and Google+• Reign in Foursquare• Plan for YouTube and other new platforms
7. Theres a new Social Media In Town...
8. Approach and Tactics• Singular Voice - mine• Horses for Courses• If in doubt; BBC-it• 3F Postings• Theres gold in them there tweets
9. Success Stories #1Examples of engaging posts here
10. Success Stories #2
11. Success Stories #3
12. 2012 in Facebook• Posts - 3455• Likes - 20788• Shares - 1295• Comments - 1644• Total Views - 6,697,238• Amount spent on promoted posts & Facebook advertising - $0.00
13. 2013 Facebook Tactics & Strategies• More pictures and videos - Graph Search• Ask Audience Questions• Integrate Events• Sharing is Caring• Increase audience and engagement• Become the most engaged university in GA
14. Analytics• Weekly analytics report produced for all KSU platforms• Monitor all GA peer institutions for analytics, tactics, trends, frequency• Engagement = Talking About This/(Likes/ 100)• Consistently one of the top 5 most engaged universities in Georgia and USG group• Most Engaged University in Georgia with Facebook fanbase over 10k
15. A word from our sponsor (please!)
16. 2012 Top Tweets
17. 2012 in Twitter• Tweets - 4376• Retweets - 2385• Mentions - 3080• Favorites - 586• Total Views - 14,878,372• Amount spent on promoted posts & profile - $0.00
18. 2013 Twitter Tactics & Strategies• Signposting• Active listening to KSU conversations• Talking• Shameless Self Promotion• Encourage more interaction• Use new tools in the space - Vine/Images• Increase audience and engagement• Become the most engaged university in GA
20. 2013 LinkedIn Tactics & Strategies• Bespoke Content• Platform for courses & enrollment• Boost to Alumni• Shameless Self Promotion• Encourage more interaction• Use new tools in the space - Video/Uploads• Increase audience and engagement
22. 2013 Google+ Tactics & Strategies• Encourage more staff and student specific interaction and content• Hangouts (On-Air integration with YouTube)• Communities• Shameless Self Promotion• SEO and Social Search• Increase audience and engagement• Picture Sharing - Smugmug
25. 2013 Foursquare Tactics & Strategies
26. WarningThe following slides do not exist and are merely fragments of your imagination
29. Social Media Guidelines• Guidelines not commandments• How to do it better• Should you be even doing it at all?• Literally not set in stone• "Dont do anything silly"
30. Social Media Hub Page• Navigation• Consolidation• Social stream - Readers Digest for Web 2.0• Shameless Self Promotion
31. Trouble at Mill - what didnt go right
32. Trouble at Mill - what didnt goright2
33. Its nothing personal - JustBusiness
34. What could possibly go wrong?
35. Pay to Po$t - the co$t conundrum Thats a nice post you got there... It would be a shame if nobody saw it... Facebookmail is such an ugly word - this is promotion...
36. Remember - if in doubt, post something fluffy
37. SM Links Page
38. Easter Egg - my favourite social media post ever@guyrbailey & guyrbailey everywhere else