- DOTD has a traffic impact policy for state highways
- Many local governments assess impact fees
Manage access to improve safety and efficiency
- require interconnection of parking lots
- don’t allow driveways too close to intersections
- limit number and spacing of driveways
Consider the future – building setbacks
What about Metropolitan Planning Organizations?
What is a Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)?
MPO is the forum for cooperative transportation decision-making for the metropolitan planning area.
An MPO must be designated for each urbanized area with a population of more than 50,000 by agreement between the Governor and units of general purpose local government that together represent at least 75 percent of the affected population (including the central city).
Louisiana has 10 MPOs – Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Houma, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Mandeville, Monroe, New Orleans, Sheveport, Slidell