Our Brains and PhysicalExercise• We all know that exercise is good for our health but did you know that exercise is also good for your brain?
Five main points to help get youmoving and keep you moving.
1. Keep your body active. “Some studies have found that exercise boosts activity in the brains frontal lobes and the hippocampus.” If we start exercising today then we will feel better about ourselves today. Baby steps will get us to our ultimate goals. http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/depressi on/a/howexercise.htm
2. Water, water, water • It is highly important that we stay hydrated throughout the day as well as during our workout. • “A drop of as little as 1 to 2% of fluid levels can result in slower processing speeds, impaired short-term memory, tweaked visual tracking and deficits in attention.” – http://www.lumosity.com/blog/brain-hydration/
3. Increase your Health and Memory. Increase neurons in from your hippocampus. Increases positive thoughts as we are making positive choices for long term health. New brain cells are actually being created as we exercise. This will help sustain our memory as we continue to exercise. Increase long term memory for elderly. http://scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/2011/03/02/train- your-muscles-embiggen-your-hippocampus/
4. Prevention of illness • Decreases heart disease • Lowers the risk of diabetes • Reduces the risk of cancer • Less aches and pains as we get older
5. Weight loss Exercising is one of the most important things we can do for our bodies. The second is watching what we put into our bodies. It is important that we watch the amount of calories going into our bodies as well as how much we are using throughout the day. Calories eaten should be less than what we use, this will help to increase weight loss.
Using Brain Exercises• Brain Gym activities that will increase your brain activity which will lower stress and anxiety. – Hook-ups: calms the mind so brain can focus a activity. – The Positive Points: Helps stress related memories become more manageable. – Belly Breathing: Helps to focus when there is a challenge task ahead.
Brain Gym Exercises students can use to help them refocus: To help children focus on academic skills, great to use right before testing. Calf Pump The Grounder The Gravity Glider
Annotated Bibliography * Schlosberg, Suzanne Neporent, and Liz Neoirebt. Fat-Free Truth: Real Answers to the Fitness and Weighloss Questions You Wonder about Most . Boston, MA USA: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 07/2005. 368. eBook. This book gives readers realistic approaches to Weight loss and Fitness. The approaches are based on many different authorities in the medical field, The book also gives the reader tips on where to go to get more information. * Blech, Jorg. Healing Through Exercise: Scientifically-Proven Ways to Prevent and Overcome Illness and Lengthen Your Life . New York, NY USA: Da Capo Press, 03/2009. 255. eBook. This book gives readers hope when they are going through medical challenges, This hope comes through exercises that will keep their bodies moving before they go though an illness as well as if they become ill. Dennison, Paul, and Gail Dennison. Brian Gym. Teachers. Ventura, CA USA: Hearts at Play, Inc., 2010. 134. Print. This book covers many exercises that help children as well as adults find focus and reduce stress through easy to follow instructions.
Annotated Bibliography Cont.* Scicurious, "Train your Muscles, Embiggen your Hippocampus." Neurotic Physiology.Scientopia, 03 02 2011. Web. 5 Aug. 2012.http://scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/2011/03/02/train-your-muscles-embiggen- your-hippocampus/>. This blog states that physical exercise can promote longevity and better health.This shows a video of a 67 year old lady who is competing in sprints with much youngerpeople.* Holmes, Leonard. "How Does Exercise Improve Mental Health?." About.com A part of theNew York Times Company. 18 03 2010: 1. Web. 5 Aug. 2012.<http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/depression/a/howexercise.htm/>. This blog tells how the chemicals in our brain react to exercise.* Kellett, Gregory. "Brain Hydration." Lumosity Blog. lumosity.com, 07 01 2009. Web. 5 Aug.2012. <http://www.lumosity.com/blog/brain-hydration/ This blog show the effects on our brain if we don’t drink enough water throughout the day as well as when we are exerting ourselves though working out or day today activities.Syah, Jeong. "Jeong Syah: Brian Gym for Everyone." N.p., 03 2011. Web. Web. 5 Aug. 2012.<http://jeongsyah.blogspot.com/2011/03/brain-gym-is-for-everyone.html>. This blog show pictures of Brain Gym Exercises as well as gives detaileddescriptions of each exercise.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.