Managing Woods for
Woodfuel – post
Forestry and Woodlands Adviser
Country Land and Business
Using wood for heating has
become increasingly popular
By the end of January, since the launch of the RHI 560 boilers, with a
total capacity of 123 megawatts have been installed in England
Number of biomass boilers supported by RHI in
England and Britain
31-Jul- 31-Aug- 30-Sep- 31-Oct- 30- 31-Dec12
Many on rural estates; and many more are planned.
Woodfuel can provide a valuable market for your
An opportunity to manage your woodland and
improve it’s profitability
And create woods that are both
beautiful and valuable
What Have You Got?
Good quality Oak
SP80% Be 20%
What can your woods produce?
• Scots pine YC 10 will produce
approximately 6 tonnes per hectare per
• Ash, sycamore or birch YC 8 will produce
approximately 5 tonnes per hectare per
• Generally you would thin your woods
every five years.
What Are Your Objectives?
Providing woodfuel for own use
Growing quality timber for profit
Some where nice to walk
Can you supply your needs?
• If you can, great!
• If you can’t then you can buy in round
• If you have too much then you can sell
• Sometimes it may make sense to come to
an arrangement with your neighbours to
even out supply.
• Prepare a Management Plan
• Are there any designations?
• Carry out a European Protected Species
• Get a felling licence.
• Enter an England Woodland Grant
• Take good advice.
• Marking the thinning is the most important
job in woodland management.
• The man (or woman) who marks the tree
makes the wood.
• The worst comes first the best remains.
• Never let the buyer or the harvesting
contractor mark the wood.
• Don’t be afraid of big machines.
• Costs will vary
• Harvesting to roadside should cost
between £18 per tonne for a harvester and
• £28 per tonne for motor manual.
• You will have to pay extra to get the timber
to the drying and chipping site.
• Handle the timber as infrequently as
• Every time you move it, it costs you
• Cut the right size for the chipper.
• Stack it tidily on hard airy site.
• Keep it clean.
• Be professional; you are producing a high