2. The Reality..<br /><ul><li> 80% of the earths surface – water.
3. Water cycle is one of constant renewal.
4. 4L water to produce one bottle of beer.
5. 500L water to produce 1 orange.
6. 1,340,000 million L to produce on tonne of steel</li></li></ul><li>What the experts say..<br />“over the next two decades the average supply of water per person will drop by one third, possibly condemning millions of people to a premature death”<br />(Nature Publishing Company)<br />“the worlds’ supply of fresh water is running out. Already 1 in 5 has no access to safe drinking water”(BBC News)<br />“2 in 3 people will face water shortages by 2025. People will be forced from their homes to seek water”(UNESCO)<br />
7. What is water Efficiency?<br />The United States Environmental Protection Agency describes water efficiency as:<br />“the long-term ethic of saving water resources through the employment of water-saving technologies and activities.”<br />Who is responsible for it?<br />Each and every individual<br />From top down<br />
8. Why be Water Efficient?<br />Worldwide water consumption up ten fold since 1900<br />By 2040 population up by 45%<br />At present, 1 third of the worlds population facing water shortages and poor drinking water quality<br />
9. The Evidence<br />The Aral Sea - The 4th biggest <br />sea in-land will not exist in<br />the next decade.<br />The Colorado River - Since the <br />year 2000, the rivers annual <br />flow has fallen to as low as <br />25% of its level. <br />
10. What can we do?<br /><ul><li>At home:
11. Use low flow rate shower heads which use up to 40% less water than traditional ones.
12. Use a displacement device (such as a ‘hippo’ bag) in your cistern to decrease water wastage from toilet
13. Fix any dripping taps, cisterns etc.
14. Take shorter showers
15. Don’t leave the tap on when brushing teeth or shaving</li></li></ul><li>What can we do?<br />In the Garden:<br />Don’t cut grass as short as it will survive longer without water.<br />Use a watering can fitted with a rose so as to disperse less water over larger areas.<br />Collect rainwater using a water butt. This can then be used for watering plants etc.<br />Re-use water in basin to water plants or wash car etc.<br />
16. Water Efficiency in Construction<br /><ul><li>Rainwater Harvesting:
19. Water Efficiency in Construction<br />Greywater recycling system:<br />Grey water is wastewater from: washing machines, dishwashers, showers and baths.<br />Separate internal drainage system must <br />be fitted. Water stored in tank then <br />Distributed via pump to feed cisterns <br />and garden taps<br />
20. Benefits of a Grey Water Recycling System<br />There are many benefits to having a GWRS installed in your home, including;<br /><ul><li>Lesser amount of fresh water usage
21. Better treatment (topsoil is many times more effective than subsoil or treatment plant)
22. Less energy used
23. Groundwater recharge
24. Plant growth
25. Reclamation of otherwise wasted nutrients</li></li></ul><li>Conclusion<br />"Only after the last tree has been cut down.Only after the last river has been poisoned.Only after the last fish has been caught.Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."<br /> -Cree Indian Prophecy-<br />