‘People’ – Who will pay for land
management and land use
change to help farmers and
communities prepare for climate
Jenny Phelps, Gloucestershire FWAG
Farming and Communities
• Has there been a cultural disconnect between
farmers/landowners and communities.?
• Do communities feel connected to, and value
the farmed environment?
• Do people value their food, water, air and
• Are there ways communities could work with
farmers to develop projects of for mutual and
multiple benefit e.g. Flooding , business
• Is local knowledge being over looked in
looking for solutions to problems?
Working with Rural
Developing Integrated parish and neighbourhood plans
Shared problem solving with all partners inc farmers
64 layers so far – locally relevant contacts
Web Portal hosted by CCRI/County Council
Ampney Crucis? -
ILD framework could draw
all funding together
Whole register of ‘FEPPERS’ could be up skilled to FIELD Advisers
But who will pay for land use change?
Dynamic PES linked to Land Use Code?
How might people pay?
• Parish Precept – for flood mitigation?
• Supporting land use change by buying local
• Supporting farm diversification by linking it to
parish needs indentified in parish plan.
• Community Supported Agriculture – for
ecosystem services ........