What Will Be Covered
• The assignment
• The Library website
• What are journals?
• Finding journal articles
• Finding reliable online nursing resources
• APA formatting &NoodleBib
• Find a minimum of 3 current scholarly articles
• From nursing journals
• Less than 5 years old
• Print one of the articles you find
• Develop an APA title page and reference page
• Including the articles you have found
• Two websites or other relevant nursing resources
Why are Journals Important?
• Peer-reviewed information
• Reliable information that your professors
• Tested and vetted by other people in the
• Cover important topics in your field
• Written by other nurses
• Original research
Finding Journal Articles
• Use Library Databases:
• Develop keywords before you search
• Take clues from the information you find
• Ask for help!
• Search Tips:
• Use “*” at the root of a word to get more word options
• i.e. searching “nurs*” will search for the terms; nurse, nurses, nursing,
• Use this when your word can’t turn into another word completely
Check for the DATE &
your SEARCH TERMS
Looking at Records
Use the CITE
button to help &
the SUBJECTS to
• Evaluation is Key!
• You need to critically evaluate EVERYTHING you find
• Use the CRAAP Test
• Currency- timeliness of information
• Relevance- information relating to your topic
• Authority- source of the information
• Accuracy- reliability, truthfulness, correctness
• Purpose- the reason the information exists
Using Google to Your Advantage
Add your SEARCH TERM
& limit by DOMAIN
(.org, .gov, .edu)
• Grab the citation from CINAHL
• Copy and Paste the citation into NoodleBib
• Check the citation against the guide
provided for you!
• Or Build your citation for journal articles
and web resources in NoodleBib
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.