Marine fish eggs and larvae from the           East coast of South Africa             Dirk Steinke, Allan Connell, Tyler Z...
HistoryAllan Connell
History1985 - a major effluent pipeline was about to begindischarging industrial effluent over a shallowcontinental shelf ...
Work flow• By collecting both offshore (5km) and inshore (0.5km) a reasonableassessment of location of spawning was obtain...
Work flow• DNA extraction was done using standard protocols at the CCDB.• A reduced elution volume was used.• PCR used Fis...
Today• some 2100 larvae have been barcoded since 2005• the local adult reference library (assembled in parallel) containss...
Are we done?                              40                              35Phylogenetic Diversity (PD)                   ...
Results• 1638 specimens (78%) could be identified using BOLD• they represent 280 known species• 10 of those are new record...
Some observations              100               90               80               70               60                    ...
TrendsMean monthly eggs per sample, averaged over 24 years
Trends• large rainfall causing mud to be washed out from rivers• the high nutrient load of such a deluge caused massive in...
Thank you!Acknowledgements:Erin CorstorphineTyler ZemlakPhilip HeemstraBiodiversity Institute ofOntario   www.fisheggsandl...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Dirk Steinke - Vertebrates Plenary

743
-1

Published on

Marine fish eggs and larvae from the east coast of South Africa

Published in: Education, Business, Technology
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
743
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
7
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Dirk Steinke - Vertebrates Plenary

  1. 1. Marine fish eggs and larvae from the East coast of South Africa Dirk Steinke, Allan Connell, Tyler Zemlak, Paul Hebert
  2. 2. HistoryAllan Connell
  3. 3. History1985 - a major effluent pipeline was about to begindischarging industrial effluent over a shallowcontinental shelf area in Richards Bay1985 - surface plankton samples were collected, overseveral years, to assess the diversity of fish speciesspawning in the area, and the intensity and seasonalityof spawning.1986 – a second study in Park Rynie was started inorder to collect alive specimens.1987 – cataloguing of eggs and hatched larvae started2004 – DNA Barcoding was added to the procedure(including sampling of adults for reference library)
  4. 4. Work flow• By collecting both offshore (5km) and inshore (0.5km) a reasonableassessment of location of spawning was obtained for all the commoneggs in the study area.• A simple “key” based on the physical features of pelagic fish eggs,was used to separate eggs into basic groups.• eggs were hatched and both eggs and larvae were photographed.• once larvae had fully pigmented eyes, theywere anaesthetised with MS222, prior tofixing in 98% alcohol for DNA Barcoding.• other larvae were reared to the pointwhere fin counts and juvenile featuresaided in identification.
  5. 5. Work flow• DNA extraction was done using standard protocols at the CCDB.• A reduced elution volume was used.• PCR used Fish Cocktail (Ivanova 2007).• Sequences were queried against BOLD using its IdentificationEngine (only 100% were considered).• reared larvae of the same batch were fixed in formalin and serve as„para-vouchers‟
  6. 6. Today• some 2100 larvae have been barcoded since 2005• the local adult reference library (assembled in parallel) containssome 900 species• some 1500 species of marine fishes from South Africa are barcoded• 9000 fish species have been barcoded world-wide
  7. 7. Are we done? 40 35Phylogenetic Diversity (PD) 30 25 20 • PD calculated using Conserve based on 15 NJ trees generated in MEGA 4.0 • Sample size progressively increased by 10 10 random sequences 5 0 0 500 1000 1500 2000 # barcodes
  8. 8. Results• 1638 specimens (78%) could be identified using BOLD• they represent 280 known species• 10 of those are new records for South Africa• the remaining 22% could not be matched to any barcode sequenceon BOLD or GenBank.
  9. 9. Some observations 100 90 80 70 60 % Offshore 50 % Inshore 40 30 20 10 0Monodactylus falciformis Pomadasys olivaceus Cubiceps pauciradiatus
  10. 10. TrendsMean monthly eggs per sample, averaged over 24 years
  11. 11. Trends• large rainfall causing mud to be washed out from rivers• the high nutrient load of such a deluge caused massive increase in eggnumbers• three most prolific pelagic egg spawners: Sardinops sagax, Etrumeusteres, and Scomber japonicus
  12. 12. Thank you!Acknowledgements:Erin CorstorphineTyler ZemlakPhilip HeemstraBiodiversity Institute ofOntario www.fisheggsandlarvae.com
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×