How to increase traffic to your website
Why it matters?
• Search Engine Optimization (SEO) helps drive traffic to your
• When people are searching for something
(service, product, article, etc.) they use most relevant
• By making your site more SEO friendly, more people will find
it. The more people who find it, the better
Web headlines can stand alone
• Do you immediately know from the headline what the article
• Think about how you would search for something.
• Put keywords at or near the beginning of the headline. Word
• Always use full names for:
Use city/region names
• Be specific with geographic names
Don’t use puns, cute headlines
• They’re great for print, horrible for website
• Print: Too much Heat
• Web: Detroit Pistons lose to Miami Heat 101-98
Not too long or too short
• Aim for about 8 words or 65 characters
Use full company names, etc.
• Put the names of companies, organizations, etc. in headline
• If the person’s name is not familiar to your audience, use a
likely search phrase.
Use descriptive first words
• Start columns with the columnist’s name and opinions with
the word OPINION. Likewise, use PHOTO or VIDEO to denote
• 55 quick SEO tips
• 5 Tips to Boost Your SEO in a Competitive Online