1. Digitalstorytelling in the 21 st century Case Western Reserve University - April 2012
2. But wait, whats storytelling?
3. The Freytagtriangle:
4. • Delight and instructOrthepersonal?
5. Stories are:• About someone important• About an important event• About what one does? From the CDS Cookbook http://www.storycenter.org/cookbook.html
6. A certainkind ofpersonalexperience
7. How much is mystery?
8. The last man on Earth sat alone in a room.
9. The last man on Earth sat alone in a room.There was a knock on the door. (Fredric Brown, “Knock”, 1948)
10. Mystery?It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
11. Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
12. As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.
13. What isn’tstorytelling?
14. A list definitionFor a given audience, astory is a sequence ofcontent, anchored on aproblem, which engagesthat audience withemotion and meaning.
15. Storytelling always uses new tech http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio, http://www.flickr.com/photos/takomabibelot/1466220116/
16. Digital storytelling in the 1990sWeb 1.0 storytelling • Browser-focused• Hypertext • Connected with• Multimedia offline, analog• Fan and creator content communities (textbooks) • Evanescent
17. Web 1.0 era storytellingEmail chain letters, jokes• Social• Boundaries fuzzy• Microcontent• Virtual community facilitation (1980s on) (Snopes.com)
18. Dear American:I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship witha transfer of funds of great magnitude.I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country hashad crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would bemost profitable to you.I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be myreplacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, youmay know him as the leader of the American banking deregulationmovement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.This is a matter of great urgency… (http://www.thenation.com/blogs/jstreet/363133/bailout_satire)
19. Web 1.0 storytellingExample: Dreaming Methods (2000ff)http://www.dre amingmetho ds.com/
32. Can a collective create a believablefictional voice? How does a plot findany sort of coherent trajectory whendifferent people have a different ideaabout how a story should end – oreven begin? And, perhaps mostimportantly, can writers really leavetheir egos at the door? “About”, http://www.amillionpenguins.com/wiki/index.php/About
33. Embedded within Slideshare Web platform apparatus