1. What is coaching?What are the proposed system’s aims?How does the proposed process operate?Who can be coached?Who can be a coach?What skills are needed?Why should I apply to be a coach?
2. Some definitions: ◦ “A structured conversation” for developing higher quality performance ◦ A solution-oriented relationship within which the coach empowers the client to actualise their full potential ◦ It explores how we think and act – our emotions, perceptions, understandings and beliefs ◦ It works when a coach asks key questions to challenge the client
3. To enable all staff to access a system where they can continually improve their teaching regardless of: ◦ Role ◦ Length of service ◦ Current performance level The proposed system recognises: ◦ The importance of teaching above other roles ◦ The right of all staff to access continued professional development wrt their teaching ◦ The previous coaching systems at CCC
4. Designed to be as flexible as possible Key guidelines: ◦ A supportive tool to continually improve practice ◦ Teacher chooses a coach from the pool after identifying an aspect of practice they wish to improve ◦ Cycle of observation, feedback, discussion, advice, re- observation takes place to improve practice ◦ Confidential records kept by both parties ◦ Data shared only with permission of teacher ◦ Teacher free to disengage at any time
5. As we recognise how important the quality of all our teaching is, we hope......everyone Time is certainly an issue and therefore some might be more involved than others All staff have the right to access a coach A tool that can be used to improve practice Separate from performance management
6. Anyone on the teaching staff could apply to be a teaching coach in term 3 Will need to have a short interview and prepare a 4-5 minute presentation These presentations used by teachers to identify who they would like to work with We’ll aim to match everyone up with their first choice of coach Existing, informal coaching arrangements will be brought under this umbrella
7. Some key criteria for teaching coaches: ◦ Expertise in one/more code aspects ◦ Proven record of GO teaching ◦ Flexible, critical-friend, open & honest approach ◦ Willingness to devote non contact time (& collaborative planning time)
8. External input is always valued, but..... Excellent practice exists right here This is increasingly true We know each other well A good opportunity for professional development Modest financial incentive Time allocated on timetable for 2012-3
9. 1. Adverts for coaches out next term2. Please feedback to me your thoughts on the proposed system via surveymonkey3. Coaches apply during term 34. For rest of this year, present (informal) coaching systems will run5. Coaches to be provided with training during terms 4 - 6Questions?