Pr Publications top ten During my experience in PR Publications I have learned so much. In the beginning I thought all this information was common knowledge and the assignments were simple to perform. Obviously, I was wrong. Here are the top ten things I learned throughout my semester in publications. Hopefully, it will help you in your career endeavors. ~From a dedicated PR student with a successful future.
10. Fonts I never realized that fonts can hold emotional effects. Many fonts are also best used for a specific document. The following is font emotional appeals and specific documents to use them with, which is in Strategic Public Relations Designing for Target Publics.
Helvetica: clean, crosp, modern,handsom and corporate looking
9. Life Stages Knowing and understanding the levels of adulthood is ideal when determining an audience and what they appeal to. It makes public relations easier when research is done to target the correct audience. Provisional Adulthood (18 to 29) First Adulthood (30 to 55) Second Adulthood (55 to 85+)
8. Photographs People read pictures. The newsworthiness, quality and relation to a publication is highly important. Without these elements a publication can fail.
7.Business Cards Business cards are essential when it comes to any profession. If you want people to use your services your business card must stand out in a constant sea of cards. Standing out is never a bad thing and having a one-of-a kind business card can increase business.
6. Photoshop Photoshop is a great program to use in PR. I feel that a PR professional has to know a little about everything in the mass communication field. Photoshop is great for editing in publications. Just BEWARE, because you don’t want to end up on Photoshop Disasters.
5. InDesign If you do not know InDesign then you are in BIG trouble. In the world of public relations InDesign is to publications as the AP Stylebook is to PR writing. It is something one in the field must know. In the beginning it was difficult to pick up, but now I can create documents in my sleep.
4.Brochures Learning how to create a brochure was like conquering a fear. In my opinion it is a lot easier than it looks. I pulled everything I learned from intro to PR, PR writing and this publications class. It is important to know your way around a brochure when you are working with an organization.
3. C.R.A.P. Design elements are used everyday in publications. They are important, because it keeps work organized and appealing to the eye. Contrast Repetition Alignment Proximity
2. Print Shop It is EXTREMLY important to befriend your print shop. They can be your best friend or your worst enemy. If you can develop a good relationship with them they may be able to help you when it is cutting close to a deadline.
1.Target Publics Knowing your audience and targeting them in the best way that appeals to them is the key to PUBLIC relations. In publications one has to know what works best with each audience. Then you put everything together to produce a successful publication.