Adapting Agriculture to
Bring Food Home
November 17, 2013
Peak Oil - Peak Everything?
– Can we develop approaches that address all
these challenges at once?
– Agriculture is the largest land use on the
planet – How it is structured has profound
implications for all these challenges.
• How to:
Care for your PEOPLE
Improve the LAND
Make a PROFIT
By making better decisions
Bare Capped Soil - Zimbabwe
Allan Savory and
African Range Land
6 months later – After - 200 cattle &
100 goats in a new area each day
Improving land health by learning to mimic
Nature – Particularly with grazing animals for
animal impact and herd effect.
Two Years Later
Holistic Decision Making
A HOLISTIC GOAL
SEVEN TESTING QUESTIONS
Steps in HM Process
• Create a Holistic Goal with inclusive group
– Quality of Life
– Forms of Production
– Future Resource Base
• Learn & Use Seven Testing Questions
– Keep moving forward towards Holistic Goal
• Learn About 4 ecosystem Processes
• Use Planning Processes
– Weak link determination
– Financial analysis and forecasting
– Plan-Monitor-Control- Replan.
Adaptation – not just Farm
• Sally talk about Transition Town
• Follow with discussion Break
• Then resume with some stories from
Meeting Place Organic Farm
Discussion – 20 Minutes Total
• 5 minutes -individually to consider
• -How can you apply these ideas to your
own life NOW?
• - How would the application of these ideas
improve or damage your community?
• 15 minutes group discussion
– Appoint a recorder
CSA Garden Pick Up
Freezer Meat Retailing
Need to have a vision of where to go
Need to have a process that guides us
Need to accept we may be wrong
Need to be able to correct our direction
Need to work with others
Lots of Systems
Community Supported Agriculture
– Holistic Management is a process that can
work with any system.
Give out Handout
• Any last comments or questions?
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.