View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Norwich is the largest economy in the east of England and the major regional centre for business, shopping, leisure and cultural activities. The city has a robust and growing knowledge economy and one of the highest growth projections in the Eastern Region. Key business sectors in Norwich, such as Finance and Design & Marketing Agencies, are flourishing. Leading edge technology – including Openlink, the largest free wireless broadband network in the UK – supports a strong knowledge economy, university and world-class research park. Why Social Media Week - Norwich Uniquely positioned on the east coast means that Norwich doesn ’ t get “ through ” traffic, the use of technology and Social Media however can change all of that.
Social Media Week is collaborative and co-curated, meaning that the programming and content reflects the needs of the local market Collaborating together 4 Social Media focused businesses got together to bring Social Media Week (SMW) to Norwich.
We looked to reach and help:
Businesses large and small
People looking for jobs
People wanting to progress in their careers
The financial sector
Recognising the challenging Economic times that both businesses are facing and the general public with record unemployment figures across the UK we looked to focus on how Social Media can be used to help bring about positive change in these areas. 1. Themes, Topics and Conversations that Serve the Greater Good
Social Media has yet to be widely adopted as an effective strategy in business within the Norwich area. Many businesses are keen to use it and gain more interaction with their customers, prospects and indeed suppliers, but are lacking the know how.
Getting ahead in your career
Industry Shake Ups
Individuals who are seeking employment or looking to further their careers are unaware of the benefits and pitfalls of how their use of Social Media can affect their success. The Financial Sector is facing a massive overhaul with RDR fast approaching, affecting both the public and how they receive advice and those firms offering such services. 2. Content that push the boundaries, provides thought leadership and shares fresh insight
Blog posts always encourage comments, sharing and feedback.
Multiple Social Networking sites for people to join in, find out about SMW Norwich and have their say
Events held through out the day, evening and on line to facilitate as many opportunities for everyone to be involved.
3. Formats and an approach that feels open, collaborative & inclusive
The week after #SMWNorwich 4. Ideas that extend the conversation beyond the life of the event
5. Content that provides relevant, balanced and objective assesment of the topic area
The very act of holding Social Media Week – Norwich. Providing a free event that was open to all and designed to help the business community and those seeking to get into work or further their careers was enough in itself to provoke two way dialogue, interactive discussions and even heated debates. During the week it brought people together, it started debates, it energised many, it baffled others, but what it did do was to get people really thinking “ this is powerful ” . 6. Topics that are provocative, facilitate two way dialogue, interactive discussions and heated debate
Julie Bishop Founder: JobHop Co Founder GoTo Girls http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jobhop Bridget Greenwood Co Founder GoTo Girls Head UK Operations : Financial Social Media http://uk.linkedin.com/in/bridgetgreenwood Sara Greenfield Owner Best of Norwich Owner : Bright Yellow Marketing http://uk.linkedin.com/in/saragreenfield Lynsey Sweales Owner Social-b http://uk.linkedin.com/in/lynseysweales Jim Drew Owner BizRev http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jimpdrew 7. Participants who have proven credibility in their respective fields
8. An agenda that supports, cultural, ethnic and gender diversity
9. Experiences that integrate technology and/or multi media in value adding ways Google Plus Hangouts – both for collaboration and a public hangout to demonstrate the benefits these features can have on business. Collaborative tools such as Dropbox, Eventbrite, Wordpress, Foursquare, Interactive Workshops, Tweet-up, Videos have been an integral part of the #SMWNorwich
10. Actionable and applicable ideas that can be implemented by the participants Some were totally new to Social Media so were encouraged to set up an account Discussions around strategies took place and businesses left the workshops with a direction Employers were given the challenge to use social media to make the employment process human again
10. Actionable and applicable ideas that can be implemented by the participants Collaboration can make anything happen and participants were encouraged to collaborate more Tools were given to manage, monitor and leverage time Job Seekers were encouraged to invest time in relationship building within talent communities
Over 60 Businesses Reached via Workshops, Google Hangout & Tweet-up
#SMWNorwich was trending on Monday 13th Feb 2012
Local Government - Contacted by local Town Councillors who want to promote social media locally.
Other businesses collaborated and want to be involved
Writing guest blogs, re-tweeting, videoing, and joining us at the Tweet-up.
Venues have approached us about the next social media week.
Social Media Week Norwich – Overview
Social Media Week Norwich – What ’ s Next? QR for Social Change Volunteers to take the challenge & get an inactive, active QR code Netwalk Quest Unconference Conference How will children use social media to change the world Discussions The one week experiment
Social Media Week Norwich – Appendix http://socialmediaweeknorwich.org.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/pages/SocialMediaWeekNorwich/272057799520845 https://plus.google.com/b/106122057891451248975/ https://twitter.com/#!/smwnorwich http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Social-Media-Week-Norwich-4243946 Various