• Would you trust the information presented in this article?
• Is this article written by an expert or enthusiast who knows the topic well, or is it more
shallow in nature?
• Does this article have spelling, stylistic, or factual errors?
• Does the article provide original content or information, original reporting, original research,
or original analysis?
• Does the article describe both sides of a story?
• Does this article provide a complete or comprehensive description of the topic?
• Is this the sort of page you’d want to bookmark, share with a friend, or recommend?
• Would you expect to see this article in a printed magazine, encyclopedia or book?
Src: (What counts as high quality content from Google - 2011): http://goo.gl/ieMcIk
• Process Flow is everything - There is no one way, find out what works for
identify the problem
brainstorm solutions to problem
build, model, define what version 1 is - don't launch until v 3
initiate outreach to industry experts to get thoughts then refine into v2,3
Data Sources for Content
• Data, data, data.
• Utilize Verifiable sources found online
• Create your own Data
• Mine the Dark Web
Government entities collect data and store them internally but don’t always
showcase on site. Pick up the PHONE and call!
Data Sources for Content
Guardian government Google Consumer Surveys
Guardian Data Factual
Data Market Azure by Microsoft Freebase
Google PublicData Socrata
CNN Money Socialbakers
UN Data Datamobs
USA Census Quandl
Full list here: http://goo.gl/Q6ads8
Where do you find the ideas for your big content? Look for patterns in
• Customer Surveys
• Google Consumer Surveys
• Keyword Research
• Quora / Yahoo Answers / Forums
Development and Design
• Think MVP vs. Scope Creeper
• Perhaps try to create your own designed page using tools like Easal.io
• Have your Developers use the Twitter bootstrap framework to save
themselves time in development
Timing for Creation
• Timing: can be common for content to take 2-3 months to create if not longer
• Think of its creation process as somewhat similar to launching a new
• Collaboration is critical; multi-person involvement
• Roadblocks will happen, adjust quickly.
Increase Shareability / Promotion
• Increasing the impact?
Q/A subject matter experts
Get quotes from thought leaders
Outreach via Email, Tweet or Call
Let the World
• Social ad buys
• Spend 30-40% of
5 + Year
• 100+ unique linking domains to
series over last 5 years
• 100K in new business generated
• 1k + Tweets
• Main stream media links
• Hired Business Statistician to
head up content analysis
• 3 month timeline
• Called USPTO to collect data
going back 10+ years
• Secured Main stream media
• USP for Airbnb is community
• Spent probably 10x what
traditional content would
• YOY updates make this as
even more valuable source
• Mailchimp has an
Big content; enter
the Rocket Science
• Design fusion creates
• Aggregated data from
around the web and
• Thousands of shares
• 91 referring linking root
• Tie it back to Brand Strategy
• Big Content Can be what
your company is known
for, Ex: Red bull
• SEO + Social = Sales
Tweet me: @brianchappell
Email me: email@example.com