Bret L. Simmons, Ph.D.
Reno AMA, April 10, 2014
Main Points Today
1. Personal branding is a huge
opportunity and responsibility
2. We are all ambassadors of our
increasingly social businesses
3. Differentiate your personal brand by
demonstrating professional discretion
• Never post anything, anytime, anywhere
that you would not be comfortable with
• If it were posted on the wall of your office,
would it make any of your colleagues,
customers, or employees uncomfortable?
If so, don’t post it online
• The sooner you behave as if you
have no privacy online, the more
effective you will be
• Use your personal brand online to
build bridges, not walls
Just because you can post,
comment, share, like, etc. does
not mean that you should.
We don’t need Facebook to
authenticate our lives
• Social business is here to stay.
• Strategic imperative to immerse
yourself in the process
• Start now, don’t quit
• Taking control of your online brand is
good for your career and your