How to do Business in Health ITPresentation Transcript
How to do business
in Healthcare IT
Christopher Kunney, CPHIT, MSMOT
Emerging Healthcare Technology Strategist
Infinite Options, LLC.
I Need A HERO Not A ZERO!
“80% of Success Is Just Showing Up!”
Is This Healthcare IT Thing FOR
Healthcare IT Forecast
HIT Venture Capital Funding
How Many Health IT Venture Capital Funding Deals
Occurred Over the Past Five Quarters?
• There were 104 health IT-related venture
capital funding deals during the first quarter of
2013, compared with 30 health IT-related
venture capital funding deals during Q1 2012,
according to a recent report from Mercom
• The report notes that there were 51 health IT-
related venture capital funding deals during Q4
2012, 39 such deals during Q3 2012 and 44
such deals during Q2 2012.
• The report is based on Mercom's analysis of
quarter-over-quarter information on venture
capital funding activity in the health IT sector.
Source: Mercom Capital Group, "Healthcare IT Funding and M&A: 2013 First
EHR Adoption Rates
Friday, May 10, 2013 — LATEST NEWS
SurveySaysMore Than 90% of U.S.
A survey conducted by Harris Interactive and released by Accenture
finds that 93% of U.S. physicians report using electronic health record
systems.According to the survey, 45% of U.S. doctors say they use
health information exchange technology to access data from outside
their organization, and 38% say that using EHRs and HIEs has helped
lower their organization's costs. Healthcare IT News et al.
Hospital Data Exchange
Increased by 41% Over Four
Health data exchanges between hospitals and other health care providers increased
by 41% from 2008 to 2012, according to a results of a recent study lead by National
Coordinator for Health IT Farzad Mostashari
The study found that:
• 58% of hospitals routinely exchanged electronic health information with providers and
health systems outside of their organization in 2012, and data exchange efforts with
outside hospitals more than doubled during the study period;
• 84% of hospitals that adopted a basic electronic health record system and participated
in a regional health information exchange shared information with providers outside of
their organization during the study period;
• The proportion of hospitals that adopted at least a basic EHR and participated in a
health information exchange increased by more than 500% from 2008 to 2012; and
• Hospitals with a basic EHR that participated in HIEs had the highest rates of hospital
data exchange activity in 2012.
More Employers Adopting Health Care
More employers are using mobile applications, social media and online games to boost
employees' engagement in their health care, according to a report by Buck Consultants and
The report also found that:
• 50% of surveyed employers said they currently use social networking or other social media
tools to boost employees' health care engagement and 37% said they likely will adopt such
tools within the coming year;
• 36% said they currently use at least one mobile tool to promote employee health
engagement and 36% said they likely will adopt at least one mobile health tool within the
coming year; and
• 32% said they currently offer mobile tools to help employees manage their health care
benefits and 52% said they likely will offer such tools within the next three years
Challenges for adoption:
• A lack of support from senior management
• IT infrastructure challenges
• Privacy concerns
Source: Crain’s Business Insurance/Modern Healthcare
Changes Effecting the Healthcare
• Changing Payment Model
• Physician Alignment
• Patient & Employer Engagement
• BI, Predictive Analytics and Big Data
• Security & Compliance
• mHealth and Telehealth
• Interoperability & HIE
• Limited Resources
• Increased Investment in HIT
Changes Effecting Healthcare IT
According to CIO Magazine:
Few industries faces as many IT Challenges as healthcare, where
Government mandates, security requirement and a need to replace
Outdated technology make a CIO’s job difficult:
TOP ISSUES FACING HEALTHCARE CIOs:
1. Meaningful Use
2. Healthcare Information Exchanges
3. Healthcare Reform
4. HIPAA Compliance
5. Mobile Healthcare and BYOD
6. Wireless Networking
8. Patient Engagement
9. Clinical Data Analytics
10. Storage Infrastructure
11. The Cloud
12. ICD10 Conversation
Source: CIO Magazine August 21, 2012
These are not your doctor’s techie toys
Smart devices are now the new clinical tools for clinicians
Today’s Healthcare CIO struggles
to retain a place in the C-Suite
“I’ve recently become very, very worried about the CIO position….” What I see that
worries me is an erosion of the position in many healthcare systems…
Shaffer also indicated that she sees “extreme variance” in the role of CIO and in
the ability of healthcare organizations to get value out of the CIO position.”
Source: Vi Shaffer - Gartner
Are HIT Investment Realizing The
Financial woes at Maine Medical Center
By Stephanie Bouchard, Managing Editor
“In a memo to its employees last week, one of Maine’s
largest health systems said it has suffered an operating
loss of $13.4 million in the first half of its fiscal
“In the memo, Petersen said the operating loss is due to declines in
inpatient and outpatient volumes because of the hospital’s efforts to reduce
readmissions and infections; “unintended financial consequences” due
to the roll out of the health system’s Epic electronic health record and
problems associated with being unable to accurately charge for services
provided; an increase in free care and bad debt cases; and continued
declining reimbursement from Medicare and MaineCare, the state’s
Source: Healthcare Finance News
Nearly one in five healthcare CIOs have had a security breach
within the past 12 months, according to statistics compiled by
McKesson in Understanding Your CIO.
Their top infrastructure IT focus is on systems that secure
personal health information (22 percent), followed by
servers/virtual servers (18 percent) and a focus on mobile devices
Security & Privacy Issues Continue Keep
CIO’s Up At Night
Security & Privacy Issues Continue Keep
CIO’s Up At Night
Vendor Scam Results in Data Breach for Clinic
Raleigh Orthopedic Clinic in North Carolina is notifying approximately 17,300
Patients of a breach of their protected health information after the clinic apparently
Was the victim of a scam
Massachusetts provider settles HIPAA case
for $1.5 Million
Alaska Medicaid Settles HIPAA Security
Case for $1,700,00
UCLA Health System Settles Potential HIPAA
Privacy and Security Violation
HHS Impose a $4.3M Civil Money Penalty for HIPAA Privacy Rule Violations
Shift In HIT Leaders Behavior Is
Behaviors must change…
• Project lead by IT and Executives
• IT approved everything doctors desired
• Limited clinical juice in early EHR systems
• IT accepts vendors limitations and standards
• Clinicians are more involved in technology projects
• IT has to get better at scoping and communication its capabilities, not
just approving everything doctors want.
• IT doesn’t say “no”. The business has to say “no”
• IT have to work closely with partners to innovative
Do you know the HEALTHCARE
Secret Hand Shake?
Are you and your business part of the healthcare
• What is my business focus? Revenue or mission?
• Do you really understand what the term “Healthcare” in HIT really
• Can you effectively speak the language of healthcare?
• Do you know who influences buying decision in healthcare?
• Can you clearly articulate your “healthcare” value prop?
Transitioning From Expert to Healthcare
A Simple Formula For Success:
• Share your perspective via social media and in public
• Get Certified in Healthcare IT
• Involvement Industry Associations & Events
• “Live the life” of a healthcare professional
• Partner with other technology innovators
• Turn your customer into your innovation partner
Transitioning From Expert to Healthcare
Innovation & Thought Leadership
Goal: YOU = “Trusted Resource”
Social Media - Strengthen My Brand
Current Trends in Social Media
Current trends to watch in social media in
health care include:
• Managing a conversation
• Engaging e-patients
• Convergence with personal health
• Social media for providers
• Education communities for
ARE YOU PLUGGED IN TO THESE
SOCIAL MEDIA COMMUNITIES?
Believe IT OR NOT… CIO’s Do Blog!
John Lynn is the Founder of the HealthcareScene.com blog network which currently consists of 1
5 blogs ontaining almost 5000 articles with John having written over 2000 of the articles himself
How do you deal with the challenge of a blog and Twitter account making you “too”
accessible as a CIO?
“People generally respect boundaries. Part of my life is to ignore cold callers (unless they are
serendipitously offering something on my priority list), I would love to get back to every person
that wants to meet me for lunch and talk about my organization’s prioirities but ,there isn’t enough
time in the day to respond – let alone I have all those meetings. I have met a lot of great people on
Twitter and I have hired a few, all of those have turned out great.”
Will Wieder, CIO Ministry Health Care
Why invest in industry certification?
• The industry finds value in certified professionals
• Helps to breakdown the “credibility wall”
• Gives you greater insight into the culture of the industry
• Strengthens your personal knowledge of workflow, technology,
functionality of business and clinical systems used
Join and get involved!
When’s the last time you played Doctor?
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to become partners…
The Future Is Bright For
Now You Know… The Balls In Your Court
• Is this just a Job or a Calling?
• Am I an active participant in the healthcare eco-system?
• I’m prepared invest in myself and my community?
• Am I dating my customers or am courting them for marriage?