SUPER BOWL
TM

xlvii i
AD EFFECTIVENESS STUDY
ABSTRACT
OBJECTIVE

BrandAds conducted a study to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements
that aired during the t...
TO P 10
MOST EFFECTIVE BRANDS
Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase
40%

39.5%

37.8%

36.1%

30%

25....
AVERAGE AD EFFECTIVENESS
Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase

+6.6%
10%

-10%

-20%

-30%
Swiffle Vacuum
Jack In The Box
Toyota Highlander
Cheerios
GoldieBlox
CarMax
Chrysler
Chevy Silverado...
AD EFFECTIVENESS BY GENDER
Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase

FEMALE

+8.78%
MALE

+9.95%
AD EFFECTIVENESS BY AGE
Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase
40%

37.1%

30%

18.5%

20%

14.3%

13.5...
AD EFFECTIVENESS BY INCOME
Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase
12%

10.5%
9.0%

9%

6%

3%

1.1%
0%
...
insights
83.9% of brands that purchased one or more Super Bowl™ ads positively influenced
consumers’ likelihood to purchase...
ABOUT BRANDADS

BrandAds is a Bay Area-based technology company that provides video advertising
analytics software to ente...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

2014 Super Bowl Ad Effectiveness Study

4,999

Published on

Most of the information published around Super Bowl ads tends to focus on social media metrics, sentiment and YouTube views. While these stories are always intriguing, hard data on how effective Super Bowl ads actually are – and if they are worth their hefty price tags – have yet to be released. For the first time ever, insights have been compiled that reveal which brands ran the most effective Super Bowl ads based on actual brand lift – finally answering the question of the year: is the $4 million investment in a 30-second Super Bowl spot really worth it?

OBJECTIVE
BrandAds conducted a study to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements that aired during the television broadcast of the 2014 Super Bowl™.

METHODOLOGY
The study was conducted across Internet-connected devices via the proprietary software platform, BrandAds Bridge and included 37,440 participants from around the United States. Participants described how likely they were to purchase a product or service from a particular brand by choosing a single answer from 5 choices ranging from “very likely” to “very unlikely.” Surveys were completed by the control group prior to the airing of the Super Bowl™ and by the separate exposed group after they had watched the Super Bowl™.

FINDINGS
The percentage change in likelihood to purchase the advertised products and services, among the exposed group, ranged from -31.66% to 39.50%.

Published in: Marketing, Business, Technology

2014 Super Bowl Ad Effectiveness Study

  1. 1. SUPER BOWL TM xlvii i AD EFFECTIVENESS STUDY
  2. 2. ABSTRACT OBJECTIVE BrandAds conducted a study to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements that aired during the television broadcast of the 2014 Super Bowl™. METHODOLOGY The study was conducted across Internet-connected devices via the proprietary software platform, BrandAds Bridge, and included 37,440 participants from around the United States. Participants described how likely they were to purchase a product or service from a particular brand by choosing a single answer from 5 choices ranging from “very likely” to “very unlikely.” Surveys were completed by the control group prior to the airing of the Super Bowl™ and by the separate exposed group after they had watched the Super Bowl™. FINDINGS The percentage change in likelihood to purchase the advertised products and services among the exposed group ranged from -31.66% to 39.50%.
  3. 3. TO P 10 MOST EFFECTIVE BRANDS Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase 40% 39.5% 37.8% 36.1% 30% 25.6% 25.0% 20.5% 20% 19.7% 19.4% 16.6% 15.6% 10% 0% Hyun dai eiser Budw Jeep ackle ny Cr So Sono s rm Spide an 2 Axe Alex & Ani Radio Shack line Price
  4. 4. AVERAGE AD EFFECTIVENESS Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase +6.6%
  5. 5. 10% -10% -20% -30% Swiffle Vacuum Jack In The Box Toyota Highlander Cheerios GoldieBlox CarMax Chrysler Chevy Silverado Jaguar 0% Hyundai Genesis Budweiser Jeep Cherokee Sony Crackle Sonos The Amazing Spiderman 2 Axe Peace Alex and Ani RadioShack Priceline Hyundai Elantra Honda Captain America Subway Pepsi Butterfinger T-Mobile M&M’s Hulu Doritos WeatherTech Heinz Ketchup Need For Speed Coca-Cola Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt Maserati GoPro Microsoft Chobani Yogurt Ford Fusion Hybrid Intuit Bud Light Scientology GoDaddy H&M Squarespace SodaStream Smart Wonderful Pistachios Transformers: Age of Extinction Geico Kia Audi A3 TurboTax Beats Music Bank of America Volkswagon Sprint ALL BRANDS BY EFFECTIVENESS Measured by percentage change in likelihood to purchase 40% 30% 20%
  6. 6. AD EFFECTIVENESS BY GENDER Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase FEMALE +8.78% MALE +9.95%
  7. 7. AD EFFECTIVENESS BY AGE Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase 40% 37.1% 30% 18.5% 20% 14.3% 13.5% 15.3% 10% 0% 15.1% 8.1% < 18 18–24 25–34 35–44 45–54 55–64 65+
  8. 8. AD EFFECTIVENESS BY INCOME Measured by percentage increase in likelihood to purchase 12% 10.5% 9.0% 9% 6% 3% 1.1% 0% $0–50k $50–100k $100–150k 1.4% $150k+
  9. 9. insights 83.9% of brands that purchased one or more Super Bowl™ ads positively influenced consumers’ likelihood to purchase their products or services.  16.1% of brands that purchased one or more Super Bowl™ ads negatively influenced consumers’ likelihood to purchase their products or services. Male consumers’ increase in likelihood to purchase advertised products or services was 13.3% greater than that of female consumers. The increase in likelihood to purchase advertised products or services was 61.9% greater among consumers under the age of 18 than the average increase among consumers over the age of 18. The increase in likelihood to purchase advertised products or services was 7.1 times greater among consumers whose household income is $0-100k than consumers whose household income is greater than $100k.
  10. 10. ABOUT BRANDADS BrandAds is a Bay Area-based technology company that provides video advertising analytics software to enterprise marketing organizations. BrandAds’ proprietary software platform translates massive amounts of data into actionable insights that empower marketers to materially improve the return on their video advertising investments.
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×