1. Nutrition Review Pay attention!  You may take notes.
2. Six Essential Nutrients 1. Water 2. Vitamins 3. Minerals 4. Carbohydrates 5. Proteins 6. Fats
3. Water  70% of our bodies are made out of water!  Most foods contain water.  92% of watermelon is water!  87% of an orange is water!  Without water people die in just a few days.
4. Vitamins  There are 13 vitamins in all: vitamin A; the vitamin B complex, which includes thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin B12 pantothenic acid, and biotin; and vitamins C, D, E, and K.  We get most of the vitamins we need from fruits and vegetables.  Vitamins help the body turn food into energy and tissues
5. Minerals  Minerals are needed for growth and repair  Plants get minerals from water or soil, and animals get minerals by eating plants or plant-eating animals.  The minerals the body needs in large amounts include calcium, chlorine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and sulfur.
6. Protein  Muscle, skin, bone, and hair are made up largely of proteins  body uses proteins to fight disease  Meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, eggs, cereals, legumes, and nuts are all good sources of protein.
7. Fats  Fats pack a lot of energy or calories  There are three kinds of fat: saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated  Saturated fat is often called "bad" fat  Use fat sparingly ( a little)
8. Digestive SystemThis system digests your food!
9. My plate
15. Serving SizeCalories/ Energy Saturated and Trans fats are bad! Vitamins and Minerals Daily Value Information