1. West Suffolk ConsortiumFunctional English & Maths Julia Smith Bob Read
2. Objectives clarify the content & structure of the course highlight current issues in Functional Skills delivery identify some key messages and teaching approaches to be explored in specialist sessions introduce the purpose, format and features of our course blog
3. The Great Big Functional SkillsQuiz…prizes!True or False – Stand up, Sit down or True/False Entry Level FS are assessed internally They must be taken in one sitting You are allowed to explain the vocabulary in the test Functional skill exam questions are not in the GCSE All assessment records should be kept for a minimum of 5 years Spelling is checked within maths
4. The Big Quiz contd… How many students at school are passing… How does this compare to colleges? Work based learning? Prison! What makes the difference?
5. What are the key issues? On a post-it write down what you think the biggest issues are A) in learners being successful B) in learners not being successful
6. Did you mention these? Where the exams came from… Students don’t know how to think… What resources are available… Skills transfer… An understanding of the qualification…
7. Chief Examiners Reports Learners fail when they are not entered at a level for which they are ready They need specific exam preparation time If a learner has chosen the wrong data but correctly performed calculations they will not achieve because the “overall results must be reasonable”. Learners cannot be given achievement if they have made a major error even if the calculations are correct. “If the candidate has omitted any significant part of the task, even with 8/10, they have not achieved” (p6 assessment pack for maths)
8. The Key Teaching Issues -MathsLearners often don’t know where to startIdentifying which information they need – red herrings!Learners struggle to make decisions – making a choice and playing a roleLiteracy difficulties – both reading and writingPresentation of work, data, numbersChecking & evidencing checking – reverse calculations, estimating and magnitudeExplaining what they have done and whyCopying errorsUsing a calculator – mindless number crunchers!Specific detail – units, labels, headings
9. The Key Teaching Issues –English… Writing, writing writing…colloquial, grammar, capitals, sentence construction, tense agreements They don’t write enough and what is there is littered with errors – even insufficient evidence Speaking and listening – is not a reading assessment – best practice: ensure that any supporting notes/ppt have suggestions for improvement Reading for a purpose – many difficulties in this Using a dictionary
10. Accessibility Learners with difficulties/differences should always be accommodated for They are entitled to a scribe, reader, large font They are put in for exams en masse, when they are not ready perhaps
11. Ofsted Good Practice DV8 Training
12. The problem solving process Here’s a problem Peter’s cube Your challenge is to make a 3d cube with a letter on the outside of each face just by folding the paper
13. Active Learning in FunctionalSkills Teaching
14. Two Active Learning tasks what kind of skills would pupils be using in completing these tasks? how are the tasks and the skills relevant to the demands of Functional English and Maths programmes?
15. Active Learning in Functional SkillsTeaching practical, decision making tasks collaborative working confidence in coping with the challenges of problem solving teacher: asking rather than telling pupils: reasoning rather than answer guessing
16. Active Learning pupils: active cognitively, not just in behaviour! transferable skills - ‘how could we use this skill in other contexts?’ need to balance active learning with graded skills development
17. Course Blog
18. Question Time… ??????
19. Objectives clarify the content & structure of the course highlight current issues in Functional Skills delivery identify some key messages and teaching approaches to be explored in specialist sessions introduce the purpose, format and features of our course blog
20. Review… On 3 post-its write down 1 thing you have learned from today 1 thing that has surprised you 1 thing you still want to know