INTRO, WHAT IS DIGITAL MEDIA
• The Main Law source for Copyright is the Digital Media
Copyright Act of the (DMCA).
• The DMCA is a federal copyright law that was a bill
passed in 1998, that was signed into law by President Bill
• The DMCA has been able to fight against piracy online
and internet users around the world.
• Downloading or distributing copies of copyrighted material or any
other media without permission is wrong and the DMCA is against
• The Copyright law is called “reproduction” is one of the
exclusive rights to the owner of the digital media source.
The Titles of the DMCA
The DMCA are made of five titles that implement
two treaties of the law known as World Intellectual
Copyright Organizations. These laws are
1. WIPO copyright and Performance and
Phonograph Treaties act.
2. Online Copyright Infringement Limitation
3. Computer Maintenance Competition Assurance
4. Miscellaneous Provisions
5. Vessel Hull Design Protection Act
IS IT COPYRIGHTED?
• You have to know whether it is copyrighted. Works are
generally created by the facts, ideas and works of the person.
If you own the copyright work, you don’t have to worry about
• When it comes to computer programs, the laws could help A
computer program is defined as a set of statements used in the
computer in order to bring the result.
• If and only If you own the device. This computer law to make copies
of a program like WordStar, and could even run on your computer.
So if you own the program, you could use it, otherwise stay away
• The World wide web has been important resources, most of the stuff
on the web is copyrighted. The Copyright owner has a license
where his/hers pages are created. People have these licenses to
copy a web page but the have to get permission from the people.
What could you do or NOT to do about it.
• This act RESTICTS anyone to sell devices around copyright act
• It is wrong to import, offer to public and provide without any
• Illegal File Sharing of Copyrighted material is well known is wide
known from the DMCA. It is illegal share copyright work including
software and other stuff, .
• even video games, you cannot do it.
Basic Issues on Copyrighting and fairness
• Copyright laws gives the owner of the product to
• 1. repair your work, make copies, perform display the owners publicity.
• In other cases, Author’s rights have limitations, or “fair
use”. It is a law that recognizes fair use as a limitation to
the authors right of each of the technologies involved.
• It even covers educational attempts, instead it goes
through court to determine if its fair.
• The best guidelines for fair copyrighting is Fair use
guidelines of Educational Multimedia- It helps with
permission of copyrighted material to enrolled students
Libraries has preservations options under the law of 17
USC 108 law, which is a good thing of the DMCA,
because it allows libraries to make up of three copies of
the work. The copies could be digital, as long as they
are not distributed, they should be fine.
Other Copyright laws of the libraries are like 107,
which gives knowledge of fair copyrighted uses of
libraries, and digital benefits.
Also Downloading whole copies is against the law.
Some file sharing applications are not illegal like
edonkey, BitTorret, or LimeWire. But people who have
permission from others is illegal.
Fair Use depends on four factors
Purpose of Use- which is if you have a purpose to use it
if you have permission
The Nature of the work
The Amount of Work used
The Effect of what was used
In the university of Indiana, it doesn't activate