The Big Picture
• The hottest trends in digital advertising formats and advertising
placement: Viewability, Mobile, Programmatic and Video.
• Our panel of experts will talk about:
– how bloggers can add new revenue streams through affiliate links
– how to partner with brands to create sponsored content your readers
– how you can identify, repackage and market your content in new
Viewability - Overview
• A Viewable digital ad must have at least 50% of the ad graphics visible
on the user’s screen for at least 1 second, without the user actively
• How is Viewability measured?
• Why do advertisers care?
• Do not panic, but do not ignore this trend.
• Make the most of your “above the fold” real estate.
• Simplify site design
• Align your ad units at or near the start of “slow” content (like a
paragraph of text.)
• Adopt “fixed” ad positions or sidebars that do not scroll
• Consider a Mobile Optimized template.
• Be aware of how mobile responsive templates present your sidebar
• Use mobile-specific ad sizes.
• The BlogHer Network reaches an audience of over 100MM each
month… and in the last year, we’ve seen tremendous growth, with over
50% of our traffic coming from mobile devices.
• You know a good mobile site experience from a poor one. What does
YOUR blog deliver?
• Invest in the mobile experience for your readers – mobile users,
especially on sites with instructional posts (like recipes or crafts) don’t
want to have to squint and struggle to rearrange and resize your site to
get to your posts.
• Use mobile-friendly ad positions, and be open to new advertising
• The Rise of the Machines (sort of)
• Programmatic exchanges work like trading desks on Wall Street.
• Advertisers no longer have to rely on marketing agencies to find the
right audiences for their campaigns.
• They can go directly to an exchange and place an order for ad inventory
to be targeted to very specific audiences.
• This takes the pressure off of bloggers to create perfect content that
attracts only a narrow demographic, and instead allows relevant
advertising to be served to the right readers.
Programmatic Best Practices
• Size is the name of the game. Brands want to buy millions of ad
impressions at a time, so if your site is part of a network that works with
programmatic exchanges, your audience profile is combined with all the
other sites in the network.
• Your network has more negotiation power on your behalf than you have
for an individual site. This gives you the opportunity to receive more ad
inventory and at better prices.
Additional Programmatic Information:
• Because the ads are targeted based on the reader, and not the content
on the site, some readers may receive ads that do not align with the
content of the blog.
• In addition to regular ad placements, programmatic exchanges are also
being used for video ads, mobile ads and native ad placements.
• Like Viewability, Programmatic gives advertisers the power to reach the
audiences they want to reach, at competitive prices and potentially
improves the performance of their campaigns.
• Advertisers are spending millions of dollars creating video advertising,
and are eager to get this video in front of high-quality audiences. We’re
inundated with requests to help advertisers get their video ads watched.
• At the same time, we know that readers don’t come to your blogs to
watch video… unless the video features YOU.
• Video is an increasingly important part of online storytelling, and a
valuable type of content for advertisers.
• Start small… and stay small. 15 to 60 seconds is all you need.
• Put those smart phones to use!
• Make it a regular part of your content:
– Quick tips on frosting a cake
– A reaction or review of a television show or movie
– Your kids jumping on a trampoline
– A photo slideshow from a recent vacation
– Video of your evening walk on your favorite trail
• Practice makes perfect… don’t stress about trying to have professional
quality video. Treat video as another visual element in your content,
and just have fun with it.