Quo pertentas, OSS?
- 604 views
Quo pertentas, OSS? - How Open Source can benefit from well-crafted Tests ...
Quo pertentas, OSS? - How Open Source can benefit from well-crafted Tests
This talk illustrates how a suite of well-written tests can benefit any Open Source project on multiple levels*:
- improve maintainability of the code-base
- help increase the truck factor** of the project
- "after-the-fact" tests help understand existing code and serve as documentation
- Behavior Driven Development (BDD) concepts can help create specification-like tests
The idea of adding BDD-style unit tests was introduced into the actively developed OWASP ZAP project end of 2012. It will be explained
- how the ZAP team approached this task initially
- what the improvements for the project were so far
- where we are going with automated testing in the future
Disclaimer: Some source code will definetely be shown during this talk, but you won't need to be a Java expert to follow the story! Having some general programming experience is totally sufficient!
*= surprisingly also works for proprietary software projects!
**= number of contributors that could be (fatally) run over by a truck without effectively killing the project
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views