1. Remote Working and SMEs:A study into the working preferences of smallbusinesses in North America
2. ForewordHello!Welcome to Remote Working and SMEs: A Study into the Working Preferences of Small Businesses inNorth America.When we recently surveyed 275 small businesses across North America, we asked them in-depth questionsabout their preferred working habits. Here are just a few of the interesting facts we discovered:The majority of small businesses in North America work remotely on a regular basisMany believe that working in this way improves quality-of-lifeMost participants would rather work from home when working on creative tasksPlus, we also got an insight into what SMEs believe would improve remote working models.Here we take a closer look at how the working preferences of SMEs and how these habits impact theirbusiness. We think youll find the results interesting...Stefanie NeylandCopywriting and Communications Manager
3. Overview81% of small businesses work remotely.81 per cent of small businessessurveyed either work remotely, oremploy others who work remotely19 per cent of small businessessurveyed dont work remotelyNumber of SMEs That Work Remotely
4. Remote working93% of small businesses work remotely at leastonce per weekNumber of Days Per Week Spent Working Remotely38 per cent of businesses surveyedwork remotely all the time14 per cent of businesses surveyedwork remotely 3 – 4 times per week30 per cent of businesses surveyedwork remotely 1 – 2 times per week7 per cent of businesses surveyednever work remotely
5. Productivity56% of small businesses think remote workingincreases productivity.56 per cent of small businessesbelieve remote working increasesproductivity24 per cent dont believe remoteworking increases productivity20 per cent arent sure whether itdoes or notPercentage of businesses that think working remotely increasesproductivity
6. Quality of Life88% of small businesses think remote workingimproves quality of life.Number of SMEs That Believe Working Remotely Improves Quality of Life88 per cent of businesses surveyedthink working remotely improvesquality of life12 per cent of those surveyed dontbelieve it does
7. Preferences53% of small businesses prefer working fromhome.Percentage of SMEs That Prefer Working From Home53 per cent of businesses surveyedprefer working from home39 per cent of businesses surveyedprefer working at an office8 per cent prefer working elsewhere(coffee shops, outdoors, etc.)
8. Creativity60% of small businesses prefer working from homewhen working on on creative tasks.60 per cent of businesses surveyedprefer working on creative tasks athome.25 per cent prefer working oncreative tasks in an officeenvironment.15 per cent prefer working elsewhere(such as a coffee shop, outdoors,etc.)Where businesses prefer to work on creative tasks
9. Logical Tasks44% of small businesses would rather work at anoffice when doing logical or repetitive tasks.44 per cent of small businessesprefer working on logical tasks in anoffice environment.49 per cent prefer working on logicalor repetitive tasks at home.7 per cent prefer working elsewhere(such as a coffee shop, outdoors,etc.)Where businesses prefer to work on logical tasks
10. Advantages71% of small businesses think the best thing aboutworking remotely is the savings they make.Less stressImproves well beingHelps achieve work-life balanceImproves productivitySaves on costsIncreases efficiencyHelps with employee retention50% 60% 70% 80%*Participantswereabletoselectmorethanoneoption,sopercentagesmayadduptomorethan100%The advantages of working remotely for small businesses surveyed:
11. Disadvantages56% of small businesses think the lack of team spiritis the biggest disadvantage of working remotely.Trust and accountabilitySecurityLack of team spiritEquipment30% 40% 50% 60%The disadvantages of working remotely for small businesses surveyed:*Participantswereabletoselectmorethanoneoption,sopercentagesmayadduptomorethan100%
12. ImprovementsSmall businesses believe a daily or weekly progress reportand a weekly face-to-face meeting would help remotebusiness models.Daily update callDaily or weekly progress reportWeekly face-to-face meetingMonthly face-to-face meetingWeekly team conferencecallRegular team face-to-face meeting20% 30% 40% 50%The most effective measures small businesses feel would improve remote business models:
13. SummaryKey findings:1. A majority of North American small businesses workremotely.2. They believe working remotely improves quality of life.3. They miss the sense of team spirit that working in anoffice brings.
14. About BizLaunchOver the past eight years weve become North Americas most trusted small businessadvisors. Weve worked with Fortune 500 companies to improve their brand presence withover 100,000 entrepreneurs by providing high quality webinars, seminars, marketing contentand training.We understand entrepreneurs because we are entrepreneurs. Bizlaunch Founder & CEO,Andrew Patricio, has started seven businesses, authored two books, and is an internationallyrecognized small business expert who has delivered over 100 key note speeches across theglobe.But our small business expertise doesnt end there. Everyone from our content developers toour presenters know what it’s like to start, run and grow a business—because theyve done itthemselves.