1. A quiz on Football, Music, Movies and Women
AM IN D FRENCH
2. This quiz was conducted on the 28th of July, 2013
3. Slide left blank on purpose. Really
4. The Guinea Pigs
Biswajit ‘Floydhead’ Sarma Bedanga Kashyap
• Infinite Pounce
• The nation does not want to hear your argument.
6. STAGE 1
7. What’s the scene?
• Sorry. We had to.
9. This fictional character was born in a fish market in Paris, on July
17, 1738. He was born with an extreme form of hyperosmia.
His first name refers to John the Baptist. His surname X means “frog” in
French. Frogs are cold-blooded, which X is also said to have been in the
1985 book upon which the 2006 film is based.
• Jean-Baptiste Grenouille
• He was the anti-hero in the book/film, Perfume
11. These are a few depressing
paintings from an Art exhibition
called- And She’s not even Pretty.
Who is the painter?
• Courtney Love
13. "Well, it's just from headbanging and lifting weights
when I was younger, My dad had a business where he did
painting, roofing and everything, so I'd work with him all
day long.. Then I'd jog over to my friend's house, and
we'd lift weights. If you compare old pictures from when
I was in VILE to now, it's obviously grown and the only
thing I've really done since is headbanging, which must
be fairly similar to weightlifting.
I had it measured maybe when I got married in '98, but I
don't remember and it's bigger now. If you really look at
it, it's bigger than the base of my head or where my ears
Who talking about what? 4.
George “Corpsegrinder” Fisher talking about his massive neck!
15. STAGE 2
16. • There was only 1 in the first and that was by
• 67 in the second
• 127 in the third released in 1988
• 247 in the 4th and last one.
What am I talking about? Specific answer please.
• Body Count in Rambo films
18. What are they called? We’ve blanked out 2 very obvious ones.
19. Justice League Dark. Pan’s Labyrinth director del Toro will be handling
20. • The film “A” was released in 1968 and directed by B. B’s
pregnant wife, actress C, was murdered in 1969 by D
and his followers, who titled their death spree “E” after
the 1968 song by the band F.
• D had a follower X which is also the name of a band by
the same name. X, the band's song, Y, has been used
steadily during the broadcast of a country's league
• One of that bands members, G, was murdered in 1980
outside the Manhattan apartment building where A
had been filmed.
• Solve everything!
• A- Rosemary’s Baby
• B- Roman Polanski
• C- Sharon Tate
• D- Charles Manson
• E- Helter-Skelter
• F- Beatles
• G- John Lennon
• X- Linda Kasabian (the band is Kasabian)
• Y- Fire
22. “About the A, it's true. ____ has been introducing me to artists
and creators from ____, ____ and ____, and they're walking me
through the process. It will likely be a series of books that
update the story ten years after the seeming end of
X. Nowadays, X is telling the story, lurking inside Y, and
ready to launch a come-back. […] It's only when their little
boy disappears, kidnapped by X, that Y is dragged back into
the world of B.”
Who and talking about what?
Solve A, B, X and Y for bonus points.
23. Chuck Palahniuk talking about the Fight Club sequel.
A – Graphic novel, B – Mayhem, X – Tyler Durden, Y - Jack
24. STAGE 3
25. A met her future husband B while shooting together
for the film C (Take June 24 as a hint) in '96. C
spawned a remake in another language called D
where E reprised A's role. E also played a starring
role in historical war fiction film F (which shared it's
title with a similar film in the same premise). A and
B also starred in another film G which is known for
'that scene' and it's peculiar way of story-
telling, which was one of the highlights of the film. A
can also be laterally connected to Greek mythology
through one of characters she has played in a series
of films by the same director(s).
26. A – Monica Bellucci, B – Vincent Cassell,
C – L‘Appartement, D – Wicker Park,
E – Diane Kruger, F – Inglourious Basterds (as Bridget
G – Irreversible (The rape scene in the subway tunnel
and the reverse chronology)
Monica’s character in The Matrix Trilogy was called
27. This comic strip was set in a stylized post-apocalyptic Australia. Her
real name in the strip is Rebecca Buck, but this is very rarely
mentioned throughout. According to her own history included as a
preface to one of the books, her first words were "cauliflower
penis". She is prone to random acts of sex and violence, hair
dyeing, flatulence, nose-picking, vomiting, spitting, and more than
occasional drunkenness. We know her better because of her
association with a vehicle.
• Tank Girl
29. This is the poster of a
Kicking it which was
released in 2008.
What is the subject
upon which the
• It is based on the experiences of seven participants at the Homeless
Football World Cup
31. For her role in this widely criticized and hugely underwhelming ‘90s film
Y, X not only “won” two Razzie Awards (for Worst Supporting Actress
and Worst New Star) but also set a new record for the percentage of
votes received by any actor up to that point in Golden Raspberry Awards
history. She switched lanes. Her debut film was scored by a musical
group M who released it as an album with the same name as the film.
The group M also contributed to her next film N with the song O. N was
a critical and commercial success and winning her the Cesar Award that
(Hint: her predecessor and successor in this awards’ chronology is the same
person and he can be laterally connected to the band Metallica)
32. X – Sofia Coppola,
M – Air,
N – Lost in Translation,
O – Alone in Kyoto
Y- Godfather 3
Hint: Clint Eastwood
33. STAGE 4
34. Who is she?
Why is she in the
35. Sonam Kalra, a Sufi
singer who will
perform for Yuvraj's
38. • Their model of making movies was called Tiffin Box productions;
one which they successfully applied in over 35 films which
epitomized the lower depths of 1980s Bollywood.
• Their model involved keeping production costs to a minimum by
dividing all the necessary tasks of filmmaking within their family.
For example wives and the mother-in-law were responsible for
the cooking and make up. They didn’t spend on sets because
they shot on location. They didn’t spend on costumes because
these were picked out of actors’ wardrobes. The cameras were
• What am I talking about? 15.
• This was how the Ramsey Brothers made their movie masterpieces.
40. Recently, the value of online jersey sales for a particular
American Football player, shot up exponentially. A Florida
man, wanting to rid himself of it, put the jersey up for
sale, thinking “I might get $15 for it.” He ultimately sold it
for $289. Other examples include a $100 jersey whose
bidding has gone over $130. Then there’s an authentic Nike
jersey, usually an $80 to $100 value, up to $227.50 on eBay.
Two other jerseys, both autographed, have eclipsed the
$200 mark on the site. Even a pylon signed by the player is
up for sale at $199.99.
Who is the player and why the sudden upsurge in online
• Aaron Hernandez
• The sales of his jersey shot up after he was arrested and charged with first
degree murder of his friend Odin Lloyd on June 26th 2013. the murder happened
on the 17th.
42. Audios removed
Who is the singer, and what instrument is he playing?
Hint- you can also connect him with a particular Clint Eastwood character
• Ryan Gosling playing the Ukulele
• David Villa
• Singer again
• Carla Bruni
• The Priest the Called Him.
• A spoken piece performed by William Burroughs and Kurt Cobain
51. STAGE 5
52. Simple: Identify them.
You can also name the
game they are playing for
(raise hands if you’re going
for the name of the game.)
• Jimmy Page
56. Who? As what?
• This was a screenshot from the film “The Usual Suspects”
• This is actually director Bryan Singer who is appearing as Keyzer Soze in
the opening scenes of the film.
58. Name the comic book.
• Mylo Xyloto
60. STAGE 6
62. Jónsi of Sigur Rós
63. Identify the band. What is the connection to Indian literature?
• Jeet Thayil
• He is one half of the musical group Sridhar and Thayil
• She is Suman Sridhar.
65. Who is the guy with the beer bottle?
Please don’t feel the compulsion to identify the dude on
the left. Who is the guy on the right?
• Col. Harland Sanders with Alice Cooper
67. • In the first half of 1927, the Great Mississippi Flood ravaged the
state of Mississippi and surrounding areas. It destroyed many
homes and devastated the agricultural economy of
the Mississippi Basin. Many people were forced to flee to the
cities of the Midwest in search of work, contributing to the
"Great Migration" of African Americans in the first half of the
• The song based on this incident focused mainly on when more
than 13,000 residents in and near Greenville, Mississippi who
evacuated to a nearby, unaffected _____ for its shelter at high
ground. The tumult that would have been caused if this and
other ______ had broken was the song's underlying theme.
• Which famous song is this?
• When the Levee Breaks
69. STAGE 7
70. • A’s 1978 film B was a critical as well as commercial success. It won the
Oscar for best picture. Another ‘director DJ’ Z said-"The X sequence is
just out and out one of the best pieces of film ever made, ever shot,
ever edited, ever performed. [...] Anybody can go off about A all they
want but when you get to that sequence you just have to shut up."
• X is the name of a football trick move popularized by the legendary
footballer C and can also be connected with the Iron Maiden album Y.
• He was then given a free hand for his next movie M which he took as a
cue to go batshit crazy. A took the studio’s money and ran with it,
funneling cash into his compulsive attention to detail and more than 1.5
million feet of film. A and P, the production company (which was
founded in 1919 by D. W. Griffith, Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford,
and Douglas Fairbanks)famously and publicly clashed over the
production of the film, and the director reportedly kept armed
guards outside the editing room to keep execs from fussing with his
• The film went on to become one of the biggest disasters of all time and
ended up bankrupting the production company P.
• A- Michael Cimino
• B- The Deer Hunter
• Z- Quintein Tarantino
• X- Russian Roulette
• Roulette is also the name of a trick in football popularized by C-Zinedane Zidane
• Y- 666-Number of the Beast. (All the numbers in a roulette board supposedly add
up to 666)
• M- Heaven’s Gate
• C- Zinedane Zidane
• P- United Artists
72. • “I must admit that the image(created in a film) damaged my career.
Filmmakers would come to me only with those kinds of roles. The
character would be a simple girl, but she was required to do all kinds of
things. They wanted some sex in any movie that I featured. I said, no
thanks. Ek simple si middle class ladki bath tub mein kahaan se pahunch
I did the film because I liked the story of the rehabilitation of a
prostitute. I had problem with just one bedroom scene where my
character was supposed to be nude. It was impossible for me to actually
do a nude scene. I kept asking the director about it until he must've
thought I'm interested in doing it. My hairdresser Maria bailed me out.
She styled my hair with a wig in such a way that it covered my upper
torso completely. As for the controversial shot of my legs in an inverted V,
I had to do nothing, just hitch up my skirt a bit. But the effect was very
bold. I'd say the bold scenes were more in the mind than body.”
• Who talking about which film?
• Rehana Sultan talking about her role in the film Chetna
74. X is a much-covered New Orleans song that tells of a parade collision
between two "tribes" of Mardi Gras Indians and the traditional
confrontation. The song tells of a "spy boy" (i.e. a lookout for one
band of Indians) encountering the "flag boy" or guidon carrier for
another "tribe." He threatens to "set the flag on fire.“
The exact meaning of this song is unclear. According to
Wikipedia(believe it at your own peril) it supposedly translates to-
Hey now! Hey now!
Listen, listen at the back
All our love made our king be born
All our love made it happen.
This song came into greater mainstream consciousness because it
was also used in the opening credits of a Dustin Hoffman movie.
• The song is Iko Iko
• It was used in the opening credits of Rain Man
76. • The Ballad of ___ _____ is a song that was written by folk singer Peter La
Farge. It has been covered several times by several artistes including Pete
Seeger, Bob Dylan, and most famously by Johnny Cash.
• The song tells the story of a real life person who was known for his
involvement in a ‘staged event’ involving Joe Rosenthal during World War
• A sample of the lyrics—
Call him drunken ___ _____
He won't answer anymore
Not the whiskey drinkin' Indian
Nor the Marine that went to war
There they battled up ___ _____ hill,
Two hundred and fifty men
But only twenty-seven lived to walk back down again
And when the fight was over
And when Old Glory raised
Among the men who held it high
Was the Indian, ___ _____
• Ira Hayes.
• He was one of the marines who was involved in Raising of the Flag
at Iwo Jima
78. STAGE 8
79. X was set out to be a film by Y and another collaborator Z. Y said it
is a surreal "ghost story," and "the idea's ultimately that this
album will form a kind of companion with the feature film." He
stated that David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick were major
influences for the film-script. The first 15 pages of the script made
it to the MySpace accounts of Y and Z but nothing came of it. So,
Y released X’s OST as an album with his band which became the
band’s highest selling record at that given date.
Although, Y and Z initially set out to make it as a film first it still
awaits the required funding to be greenlit. The picture in the next
slide is taken from a series of concept artwork done for the album
cover by A.
Identify X and Y. Z and A is for bonus points.
80. X – Deadwing Y – Steven Wilson
Z - Mike Bennion A – Lasse Hoile
81. Her autobiography is called:
X: A memoir of Y
Where X and Y, in either order, is her name.
Who is she?
• She is Hope Solo, the Goalkeeper of the American women’s football team.
• Her autobiography is called Solo: A Memoir of Hope
83. This is the guest-list for a band’s
show in NYC. This show happened
after they had just released one of
their most famous albums.
Band and album please!
(Hints are in the picture, so look
84. It is the guest list for Radiohead’s show at Irving Plaza, NYC on June 9, 1997. It was two
weeks after the release of Radiohead’s most coveted album , OK Computer. (I humbly
This is the set-list for the show:
My Iron Lung
Exit Music (for a Film)
Talk Show Host
Fake Plastic Trees
Climbing Up the Walls
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
85. The documentary film featuring A shows him teaching how to play this
song B (from A’s band) to his fellow “participants”. This footage ended up
as a deleted scene and it shows that after A had done his teaching bit, he
said to his ‘students’ in his trademark deadpan style, “That'll be 5
The song is one of the most recognizable songs. Its emergence as a
popular sporting anthem started when, on October 22 2003, supporters
of Club Brugge K.V. overheard the song being played in a bar in C, while
preparing to attend a UEFA Champions League group match against
C1 and began to sing along. After a 0-1 upset win, the fans brought the
song back with them to Belgium, where Brugge began playing it at their
home games during matches. After Brugge hosted A.S. Roma in a UEFA
Cup match on February 15, 2006, the Italian side brought the song back
home with them and it began to be played inside the stadium. By the
time the World Cup had begun in June, the song had become the
national team's unofficial anthem.
86. These are only a couple of instances but after this the song
caught on and it is played in many football games.
There have been many chants where the song’s lyrics have been
tweaked as per need. The most famous of those come for D who
plays for Manchester United and E who plays for Arsenal.
What is the song (B).
Solve A, C, C1, D and E for bonus points.
• A- Jack White
• C- Milan
• C1- AC Milan
88. • B- Seven Nation Army
89. • D- Robin van Persie
90. • E- Santi Cazorla
• A- Jack White
• B- Seven Nation Army
• C- Milan
• C1-AC Milan
• D- Robin van Persie
• E- Santi Cazorla
92. STAGE 9
93. Never mind the bollocks. Here’s the
94. SLIDE 1 +70, -60
95. SLIDE 2
96. SLIDE 3.
Images are GENERIC
97. SLIDE 4
98. SLIDE 5
99. SLIDE 6
100. SLIDE 7
• Slide 1- The painting is Bacchus and Ariadne. Character in Inception
• Slide 2- Asin. Acted in Ghajini. Which is a “remake” of memento. (I humbly
• Slide 3- Generic images. Taken together, gets you Doodlebug.
• Slide 4- Emma Thomas.
• Slide 5- Marion Cotillard. Appeared in TDKR and Inception
• Slide 6- Wolverine + Batman= Hugh Jackman + Christian Bale= The Prestige
• Slide 7- Edith Piaf- Non Je Ne Regrette Rion