Coronary Artery Disease [CAD]
By Megnot Tesfaye
What is the heart?
• The heart is the pump of the circulatory
system. It pumps blood to the rest of your
body. Your heart is made out of heart muscle.
Your heart muscle gets its blood from your
• Coronary arteries are small blood vessels.
Each area of heart muscle is supplied by a
particular branch of your coronary arteries.
What is CAD ?
• CAD is narrowing of the arteries to the heart
muscle and problems resulting from this.
• CAD is a very common heart disease in Australia.
What causes CAD?
Causes of CAD include:
• fatty foods and high cholesterol
• smoking cigarettes
• high blood pressure
What happens when you get CAD?
• Less blood gets to your heart muscle. When
you exercise the blood flow to your heart
muscle cannot increase enough and you get
• If you get very little blood flow to your heart
muscle, areas of muscle may die [heart
How can you avoid CAD?
You can help to prevent CAD by:
• eating healthy foods
• doing exercise
• Not smoking cigarettes
• Treating high blood pressure
• Maintaining good health e.g. treating diabetes
What can you do after you got CAD ?
• Avoid risk factors.
• Repair coronary arteries e.g. prop open
coronary arteries [stent]
• Bypass blocked areas of coronary arteries
• Mrs Onori
• Sue [My godmother]
• Microsoft Power Point