• Free web based distance learning program
• It is designed for the participation of large numbers of geographically
• MOOCs are a means of providing learning and development to virtually
everyone, anytime, anywhere in the world with internet access.
• MOOCs are Massive Open Online Courses and they are rapidly changing the game for higher
education, executive education and employee development generally
• MOOCs offer free online courses covering a growing range of topics delivered by qualified lecturers
from some of the most well-known universities in the world.
• MOOCs provide free online courses that enable people with an interest in a selected topic to study and
learn through interaction with others also interested in the same topic.
• MOOCs create the opportunity for vast numbers of people across the world to access learning through
quality courses, content and lecturers that most would never have access to
HISTORY OF MOOCS
• The first MOOCs emerged from the open educational resources (OER) movement.
• In 2008 the term MOOCs was devised by Dave Cormier and Bryan Alexander in response to a course
called Connectivism and Connective knowledge (also known as CCK08)
• The CCK08 led by George Siemens (Athabasca University) and Stephen Downes (National Research
Council) consisted of 25 tuition-paying students in Extended education at the University of Manitoba, as
well as over 2200 online students from the general public who paid nothing.
• MOOCs records 1.2 million unique visitors per month with 250,000 graduates of its 500+ courses as of
January 2013. In February 2014, ALISON registered its 3 millionth user.
TWO TYPES OF MOOCS
BASED ON CONNECTIVIST
LEARNING FOCUSES ON
Connection, interactivity, diversit
y, openness, autonomy are
BUSINESS STUDIES ON MOOCS
• Business studies is one of highly preferred subjects both in
high school and tertiary level which offers a variety of
topics and different types of modules, for example human
resource management, marketing, entrepreneurship.
TOPICS TO PURSUE ON MOOCS EXPERIENCE